Do I need a service disconnect at the meter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Existing installation, We are only supplying the building. Existing building will be removed and ours brought in. Meter is remote from existing building (no service disconnect at meter)
Customer says it was installed in the 80's.
On site electrician says they need a disconnect on the exterior of the building for code compliance. (could be, dunno.) we have a disconnect inside maybe 7 feet away.
My question is:
If our customer has to change the existing wire (intercept and re-route) from the meter to the building does he need to install a service disconnect at the meter?

KevinVost

Part VI article 230.70 has the requirements for service disconnects, the requirement for one outside of the structure may be a local amendment to the NEC. NEC says outside or "inside nearest the point of entrance of the service conductors". The nearest point inside will be determined by your local AHJ, I would ask them for thier interpretation and go from there.

danger30

OCP must be at the source. The meter base would be the source IMO. It's where the utility provides their power.

hurk27

OCP must be at the source. The meter base would be the source IMO. It's where the utility provides their power.

Do you have a code that says that?

The NEC only requires a disconnect/OCPD when entering a structure, you can run service conductors all around the outside of a building, but once you enter, 230.70 require a disconnect/OCPD's.

We use this all the time feeding other structures on the same property. set a multiple lug meter base, hit the house panel main breaker, then run out of the load side of the meter back into the ground to the out building and hit a main breaker in it, treating it just like a service as far a code goes, and since you have to have a disconnect for it any ways.

Here we even have meters on a pole then the same as above, as the state agrees the meter is just a wide point in the SEC. at worst what would happen if they were to fault? pole burn? dirt burn?

and 545.5 clearly allows the service entrance conductors ran all the way too the disconnect on the building.
And 545.7 directs us to install the service equipment per 230.70, so these are not treated like mobile homes in article 550

Last edited:

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Wayne,

How did you figure out the OP was talking about a Manafactured Home ?

It's good to be a mind reader. :)

I wasn't talking about a mobile home. It's a manufactured building per article 545.

Let me re-phrase the question:
Are the wires from the load side of the meter to the building required by code to have overcurrent and short circuit protection?
The meter being remote from the building has me wondering.....

Thanks!

Hendrix

I wasn't talking about a mobile home. It's a manufactured building per article 545.

Are the wires from the load side of the meter to the building required by code to have overcurrent and short circuit protection?

Thanks!

See 550.32(B)

JWCELECTRIC

Thanks!

The service disconnect can be inside the building where the conductors enter the nearest point into the building per 230.70.A.1 or outside. If 480v the POCO as Jim W. indicated, they may want a meter disconnect before the meter for cold sequence metering, or a meter with a Bypass. Just make sure your service disconnect/OCPD is rated for the proper AIC short circuit rating.

hurk27

Wayne,

How did you figure out the OP was talking about a Manufactured Home ?

It's good to be a mind reader. :)

Not a Manufactured Home but a manufactured building, which falls under article 545 not 550

I wish I was lol, but no, I just got it, when I read:
We are only supplying the building. Existing building will be removed and ours brought in. Meter is remote from existing building (no service disconnect at meter)
Buildings don't get removed and yours brought in, unless it is a 545 building:D

It will depend upon his local AHJ as to whether or not a disconnect is required at the meter on the pole, but as far as i can see the NEC is mute on it. yes it can be said the pole is a structure, but since there are no service entrance conductors entering the pole, I don't see a requirement of a disconnect in the NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.