Do I need to use a GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgokie

My company uses a custom NEMA 4 enclosure to house a computer that is used to control our equipment. The enclosure also contains a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and a UPS. We have a small air conditioner/heater attached to the box as well. On occasion, a person will need to open the door to the enclosure and use the computer while standing outside. Does the UPS that the computer and monitor plug into need to be protected by a GFCI? Does the air conditioner/heater?

sgokie

Re: Do I need to use a GFCI?

Yes, this is not in a bathroom, kitchen, rooftop, or in a public space. There is the HVAC device, but the outlets I am installing will not be used for service. I am only plugging in dedicated equipment to the receptacle in question.

The problem I am having is that the UPS is causing the GFCI to trip when enters its charging mode. I would like to remove the GFCI and replace it with a single, dedicated outlet under the exemption No. 2 to 210.8(A)(2).

ryan_618

210.8(A) doesn't apply, since that is a subsection that applies only to dwelling units. It sounds to me like you can remove the device.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician

What about 590.6 GFCI protection for construction, repair, maint etc.
I would go with the GFCI. Very few devices are non compatable.

ryan_618

Originally posted by tom baker:
What about 590.6 GFCI protection for construction, repair, maint etc.
I would go with the GFCI. Very few devices are non compatable.
I don't think 590.6 applies, as that is only for receptacles being used for remodeling, maintainance, et cetera.

sgokie,

Could you 'hard wire' your equipment?? It would relieve the gfci requirement.
I don't think there is a requirement to relieve.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by ryan_618:
I don't think 590.6 applies, as that is only for receptacles being used for remodeling, maintainance, et cetera.
On occasion, a person will need to open the door to the enclosure and use the computer while standing outside.
Why would this action not be called maintenance?

Status
Not open for further replies.