Do old light fixture boxes need to be accessible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al U. Minium

Occupation
Required? Retired!
Maybe this forum is not intended for DIYers Q and A, but I can tell there are a lot of experts using this forum. My question is mostly about code and safety.

We had an electrician move and upgrade 4 light fixtures in our living room. The old fixtures were not providing adequate lighting and were too close together. Now we have 4 light fixtures providing great uniform lighting, and 4 holes in the ceiling. But the old light fixture boxes are in the holes, along with wiring that goes from the old box to the new fixture. So is the old fixture box essentially now a junction box, and do I have to keep it accessible? I am assuming I can't cover these holes with drywall if there's a wire 'junction' inside - where the electrician tied in the new wiring with wire nuts. If so, what's the least obtrusive way to cover the hole? My wife is not happy with the idea of putting cover plates where the old lights were. TIA!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is not a DIY question so we are allowing it for now.

Roger

480sparky

Splices need to be accessible. If you want to spend the money, you can have the electrician move the boxes up into the attic to where they're accessible from there, then patch the holes as needed.

kwired

Electron manager
I think the electrician should have used in-wall splice kits so it could be patched
Aren't those basically for splicing/extending a single run of cable? If the box only had single supply cable before then that works fine, but if it had multiple cables (maybe even a switch leg cable) I don't know there is anything for that situation that can be concealed?

480sparky

Aren't those basically for splicing/extending a single run of cable? If the box only had single supply cable before then that works fine, but if it had multiple cables (maybe even a switch leg cable) I don't know there is anything for that situation that can be concealed?

Supposedly the Tyco kits can be buried... they're used in mobile homes when the two halves of a double-wide are connected together.

kwired

Electron manager
Supposedly the Tyco kits can be buried... they're used in mobile homes when the two halves of a double-wide are connected together.
I know that, my question is can you splice three or more cables in such connector kits? AFAIK you can't, so wouldn't be an option for OP's situation if there were more than one cable in the light box to begin with.

480sparky

I know that, my question is can you splice three or more cables in such connector kits? AFAIK you can't, so wouldn't be an option for OP's situation if there were more than one cable in the light box to begin with.

Tyco makes a kit that can add one cable in the 'mid-span' of another.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I avoid those splice kits whenever possible, If I am relocating fixtures and there is no attic above I can usually find a way to not leave junction boxes.
But there are times when you have to. And for that
Arlington makes nice junction box covers, they dont have exposed screws and are painted over easily.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Is there a floor above or an attic space? Can they be accessed from above?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If there is no attic/above access, then in my opinion the electrician should have re-wired as necessary to avoid this.
I agree, but it all depends on how much the person paying the bill wants to spend. I tell people that anything is possible but you might not like what it will cost.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Each cable can be extended separately.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I agree, but it all depends on how much the person paying the bill wants to spend. I tell people that anything is possible but you might not like what it will cost.
So, you believe the OP chose the leave-the-holes option, after being fully informed?

Then, why is Al (cute forum name, btw) here now asking what he's asking?

Al U. Minium

Occupation
Required? Retired!
Is there a floor above or an attic space? Can they be accessed from above?
It is a vaulted ceiling, 2/12 slope, no crawl space above. As to my question, do the spliced wires need to be accessible, I see the answer is absolutely yes. BTW the electrician didn't point that out to me or give me any options for rewiring. I will keep that in mind in the future.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
BTW the electrician didn't point that out to me or give me any options for rewiring. I will keep that in mind in the future.
In my opinion, he owes you correcting this problem this time, even if you agree to share in the cost a little.

I consider this business ethic and workmanship to be completely incompetent and irresponsible.

When I do this kind of work, I discuss the requirements and options, whether or not I patch the old holes.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So, you believe the OP chose the leave-the-holes option, after being fully informed?

Then, why is Al (cute forum name, btw) here now asking what he's asking?
No I don't otherwise he wouldn't be asking the question. The sparky blew it by not informing the customer how the job would be done and what the end result would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.