Do Students need PPE?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guy's,
Wondering what saftey equipment do you use in class. Do we need to have arc flash suits for these students to learn about voltages in a residential panel? I'm aware of all the OSHA rules, But how have you instructed your students to work safely? I want to teach the right way but I want the student to be able to afford my program.

Thanks

zog

Hi Guy's,
Wondering what saftey equipment do you use in class. Do we need to have arc flash suits for these students to learn about voltages in a residential panel? I'm aware of all the OSHA rules, But how have you instructed your students to work safely? I want to teach the right way but I want the student to be able to afford my program.

Thanks

Can't think of any reason you would need an arc flash suit in a residential panel. Your students should have the correct PPE for the hazards they are exposed to. Perhaps some details on what you are teaching them would help us answer your question.

The students I have are required to have all of thier own tools and lab equipment. What kind of equipment should these students have for PPE? I teach electrical theory and residential wiring. I am a believer that if you know what is going on in your circuit it is easy to repair.I demand my students to know the circuits voltage,amperage, and resistance at any point. Them inthe ring out procedure they do the measurements to prove that. We have two homes going right now. Both service panels are on, when we need to hook up the breakers do we to pull the Meter. How do you want us to teach to what the realworld is doing? Should these students wear gloves? It's hard enough to have them wear glasses. The students do go through OSHA 10 and we do have weekly safety topic.

zog

Well the "real world" is changing, most old school guys don't wear any PPE but with 70E enforcement times are changing, and changing fast. I am a little concerned that you are teaching them safety yet do not know what the PPE requirements are.

Per the 70E tables, if you are able to use them per the notes section, taking readings would be HRC 1 for arc flash PPE requirements and gloves are only required if you cross the RAB, so with gaurded probes you should be OK there. IMO your students would be best served for the new real world if you taught them how to determine what PPE is needed by either a simple arc flash calculation or at least being able to determine the fault current available and clearing time of the OCPD to know if the 70E tables can be applied.

Last edited:
Hi Guy's,

Thanks

Nothing in the NFPA70E would recommend such a suit for a typical 120/240V Residential Panel Board Enclosure. The location based on NFPA70E would be Category 0 [0 to 1.2 Cal] and safety glasses or goggles, long sleeve shirt of natural fibers and long pants are all that are needed.

bullheimer

when i taught i had them power up their panels with an extention cord cut off on the panel end, and plugged into a gfi outlet. you may want to also protect that ckt by putting in ona AFCI breaker too. up to you, but the ppe should at least be in the class so they can see, it and use it. just not every day but they need to know if they go out and work on live stuff they should have it on. like me....but i dont. paid for it too. but just small change. hate to see you have one of your studente' BBQ themselves. don't look good ona resume':lol:

after they did they're wiring projects. i would be the one to plug them in. they were not spozed to power up w/o 'the Boss'. but trust me, they did. i even had one student take the gfi outlet out of the f'in WALL HOT so he could use it in his mock up. i bout pooped a pink twinkie when i seen that one!

NFPA 70E

NFPA 70E

Please refer to NFPA 70 E Table 130.7(C)(9)

Voltage testing inside the panel is a category 1 hazard on a 240 volt panel. The FR Protective Equipment that is required are hardhats, safety glasses, ear protection, leather gloves, and leather work shoes. It also requires FR Clothing of Arc rated pants, long sleeve shirt, or Arc rated coveralls. Also included is a Arc rated face shield or flash hood.

Same goes for installing or removing a Circuit breaker or even removing bolted on covers!

Dont be fooled by thinking that PPE isnt required.....

Consult the NFPA 70E!

PEDRO ESCOVILLA

if you dont think there's an arc flash hazard in a residential panel, drop a screwdriver across phase a and b when they are hot, i guarantee it'll change your mind in a heart beat (if you still have one). just don't be standing near it when it explodes. safety first ! never work anything hot, always use proper ppe and shut it off unless it's absolutly necessary to work it hot. too many people die from being careless thinking 120/240 isn't dangerous. 70e is there for good reason

kenaslan

Hi Guy's,
Wondering what saftey equipment do you use in class.

The operative word here, "Is in class" In this case your basic eye protection ect. UNLESS, the panes is connected to the MAIN. If it is plugged into a wall outlet it is nothing more than a 120V 20 Ckt with probably 1000AIC. Do the math and come up with your AIC and arc calcs.

But in a real home panel you betcha, do will need the correct protective equipment as you are now connected to the Utility.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.