Do we select what starter type to use with certain motors or does the manufacturer specify?

Volt-Amps

I haven't done industrial applications before, not sure when to select a VFD, FVNR, FCB, DNPS, etc.
Not sure what FCB and DNPS stand for.
I'm reviewing a one line diagram, trying to understand why certain starters are used for certain applications, and what is the transformer symbol in the images below, not sure I fully understand what the symbols in the images below mean, please see images below:

One-Line Diagram - Symbols 1.jpg One-Line Diagram - Symbols 2.jpg One-Line Diagram - Symbols 3.jpg

macmikeman

Professional Engineer's usually specify motors and equipment by naming a few brand names allowed on the plans. And most Locations I have performed electrical work require Engineer stamps on electrical plans before permits are issued.

But if you are working in a factory setting most times permits are not on the radar of the higher ups, and that is when you usually will have more ability to self specify motors and associated equipment. Also wholesale house inside salesmen can line you up with a good set of proposed equipment to make things go whirrrr when the right buttons are pushed.........

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
.....reviewing a one line diagram, trying to understand why certain starters are used for certain applications, and what is the transformer symbol in the images below, not sure I fully understand what the symbols in the images below mean, please see images below:
There is no truly complete set of universally accepted symbols, in the US, for motor control and power circuit components. Each engineering firm and instruction manual seem to have some similarity, but I still get stumped after almost 50 years of looking at them.

Find a wiring diagram book from a major control vendor, like Schneider, Siemens, or Allen Bradley and you should be able to determine many components by their use.

In the OP:
The transformer symbol is referring to a local control power transformer to provide a lower voltage for control circuits which are not shown on this power circuit.
VFD is usually for a Variable Frequency Drive
FVNR means it is a Full Voltage Non-Reversing stratee, sometimes these are called Across The Line starters
FCB, I don't recognize and don't see in your examples.
DNPS is a power supply for a Device Net communications network which is an industrially hardened communication network used with smart devices like sensors, drives, and controllers.

Last edited: