Do you always need an Equipment ground in conduit with conductors?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryangittens

I can't seem to find any reference to this and it just may be common knowledge.

The Enphase IQ6 doesn't have any ground as it's electrically isolated so no EGC in the cable.

Say you have an array with 3 Enphase branches. Each branch goes to a non mental junction box where the wire is transitioned to another type and run in conduit. So each junction box has it's conductors run in a separate conduit.

We still need an EGC for the rails and panels. Questions is, do you need an EGC for rails/panels run from each junction box back to the collection panel or just one? Does there need to be an equipment ground in conduit when there are conductors in the conduit even though there are no metal parts?

See screenshot below for reference.

GROUNDING.jpg

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
I can't seem to find any reference to this and it just may be common knowledge.

The Enphase IQ6 doesn't have any ground as it's electrically isolated so no EGC in the cable.

Say you have an array with 3 Enphase branches. Each branch goes to a non mental junction box where the wire is transitioned to another type and run in conduit. So each junction box has it's conductors run in a separate conduit.

We still need an EGC for the rails and panels. Questions is, do you need an EGC for rails/panels run from each junction box back to the collection panel or just one? Does there need to be an equipment ground in conduit when there are conductors in the conduit even though there are no metal parts?

See screenshot below for reference.

View attachment 19852

I put a ground wire in every conduit. It may be overkill but many inspectors want to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.