Do you have this in your boiler plate

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I was informed by a potential client that other EC had “ they are not responsible if they step through the ceiling, I looked at him and said that guy must be fat.
The only time I dropped a drill and it sent the Sheetrock I paid for it. Seems it’s my responsibility ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I think I would want a little more information on the precise wording and maybe the specific circumstances that prompted it, but my first thought is no.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I think I would want a little more information on the precise wording and maybe the specific circumstances that prompted it, but my first thought is no.
Ya it could be walking on rafters of a light fixture falls it’s not are fault cause it was not secured properly something like that.

It’s hearsay but he said if he steps through ceiling he is not responsible

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
When I started my first 'service electrician' job I figured residential would be a breeze (had worked large commercial for years)
The first day I was sent to service a squeaky bath fan in a mansion, the cover of the fan was so painted on that when I tapped it with my lineman's and a big screwdriver to crack it loose the entire lathe and plaster ceiling started falling.
That same week #1 I pulled down a kitchen fixture that was 80 years old and must have had 3X 100 Watt bulbs on for the last 80 years and same thing, the plaster came down in the shape of the fixture, it was so old it had horse hair in it.
That was all on the customer.
I was amazed I was not fired

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
? Ya that’s out of your control shoving your lazy foot through the ceiling is not.

Or if you have to get in a tight spot inform owner so if they say go head and you damage it they were for warned

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
I have no idea what our contract says but these days people are pretty eager to pin everything on someone else and try to get some freebie or discount, all those customers thought it was my fault, oh and that scratch in their truck had to be from my van.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I have "not responsible for sheetrock patching and finishing" in mine. It's not for falling through the ceiling it's for cutting fish holes. But it doesn't say it's not for that either.
I got that also but I would not make them pay if I step through roof.
It be like not responsible for holes drilled through roof if I mess up on a mast.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I have given disclaimers both verbally and in writing that the ceiling plaster may crack if I have to do work in your attic to run wiring or especially if we are doing a structural reinforcement of rafters (for a solar installation). But no, I've never told anyone they'd have to pay if a guy stepped through the ceiling because he was inept.

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
So who fixes the holes you make?
Either a general contractor on the job who the contract is with or I have a few references for drywall finish contractors who are much more skilled then I am. I usually put back the drywall I cut out with a few pieces of backer board but I am not going to do the patch justice unless it's flat or a spray texture.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Either a general contractor on the job who the contract is with or I have a few references for drywall finish contractors who are much more skilled then I am. I usually put back the drywall I cut out with a few pieces of backer board but I am not going to do the patch justice unless it's flat or a spray texture.
I can't imagine that there are all that many dry wall contractors interested in a few hours of work.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
They tend to like it cause they pop in and out. They say they make the most money on those. I don’t know how. But i suck at making great money like others.