Docking Drawer outlet to meet 2020 NEC 210.52(C)(2) Peninsula Outlet requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

falconewk

Occupation
Owner, Residential Journeyman
Here in WA state we are still using the 2020 NEC, I believe until at least next January.

I have a question on the peninsula outlet requirement for a kitchen I am bidding that has a counter "waterfall" (counter surface is the same on the end as on the top) on the end of a peninsula.

The customer is willing to allow a drawer to be made more narrow, and an outlet added into the face of the cabinet, but I don't love the solution. I think I may be able to put one on the back side of the counter just inside some 12" deep cabinets that are back to back with the kitchen side cabinets. However I would love to use a Docking Drawer outlet to meet my end of peninsula outlet requirement.

I know there is the requirement in 210.52 (C)(3) that says:

(3) Below countertop or works surfaces: Not more than 300 mm (12 in.) below the countertop or work surface. Receptacles installed below a countertop or work surface shall not be located where the countertop or work surface extends more than 150 mm (6 in.) beyond its support base.

Would the fact that a kitchen cabinet drawer could be pulled out, so that the back of the drawer where the Docking Drawer outlet was installed was not covered by more than 6 in of counter top or work surface, make it acceptable to meet the requirement of an outlet within 2ft of the end of the peninsula? I am hoping to use a drawer at the end of the peninsula right next to the marble, quartz, or whatever surface "Waterfall."

Steve16

Occupation
Master electrician
I installed one last summer on the 2017 code but added another one on the peninsula because the code doesn't address this as covering the required receptacle(s).

Depending on how your state works you could submit a modification based on the 2023 code that only requires provisions for receptacles and your drawer receptacle wouldn't be an issue

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
How about attaching a shallow Wiremold box and receptacle under the counter-top ledge, facing the floor, perhaps using construction adhesive?

1658460981163.png

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
Could you imagine how horrible it would be to try to use an appliance on a countertop with a drawer pulled out in front of that counter?

That said, I wonder if the 'docking drawer' tech could be used to get power to the face of the drawer, so that with the drawer closed the receptacle is usable.

Or if the drawer itself could be a pull out work surface where the appliances would be used.

Final thought: at the receptacle location have a crazy deep drawer on one side of the island and the receptacle on the other side with no drawer at all, or hidden behind a drawer face. The idea is that there are always those things that are too long to fit in an ordinary drawer, so the customer would have a drawer for such, and then a place for a regular receptacle.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.