Does anyone have an educated guess on....

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

JONATHAN20 said:
What size service do you think SIX FLAGS or any large scale amusement park would have?
They'd surely be on primary. You'd be surprised at how small a service might seem ampacity wise when you're dealing with 13,200 or thereabouts. Most places like this are double-end fed too. Maybe even from two different PoCo's.

iwire

Staff member
At the smaller park I worked at we took our power from the utility at 4160 volts and distributed at that voltage.

At that voltage I think we used like a 20 amp fuse at 4160 to supply a transformer that supplied an 800 amp 208Y/120 panel.

iwire

Staff member
Amusement parks are not that much of a load when compared to factories, industrial, or research facilities.

Amusement parks have some moderate loads but they are very spread out.

Where I worked the larger rides had 100 to 200 HP motors with one at 400 hp large compared to a home, small compared to industrial users.

As an example we worked in a pharmaceutical plant, the meters on the 13,800 volt gear would often show between 100 - 125 amps, thats roughly the equivalent of 25,000 amps at 208.

I saw a TV show that showed a ride (Pretty sure it was "The Hulk" @ Universals Islands of Adventure ) that really launches you hard and somehow they store electrical power for that quick burst, by doing that you reduce the impact to the rest of the electrical system.

tallguy

iwire said:
I saw a TV show that showed a ride (Pretty sure it was "The Hulk" @ Universals Islands of Adventure ) that really launches you hard and somehow they store electrical power for that quick burst, by doing that you reduce the impact to the rest of the electrical system.

There are a number of these sorts of rides now that shoot the "train" off like a rocket rather than the slow "click-click-click" up the hill that we were used to as kids. All that I have seen use hydraulic catapults, much like aircraft carrier launch systems.

iwire

Staff member
tallguy said:
There are a number of these sorts of rides now that shoot the "train" off like a rocket rather than the slow "click-click-click" up the hill that we were used to as kids. All that I have seen use hydraulic catapults, much like aircraft carrier launch systems.

The ride I saw the show about was using electric linear motors. :smile:

I can't recall the storage medium.

A more interesting question is how much of the load is ride motors/controls/etc, how much is lighting, and how much is cooking. It's always seemed to me that a ride might have only a 20hp motor, but chalk up 20-30kw of lights.

Further research is indicated :).

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
One ride at my favorite park has about 20 150hp linear induction motors, but they only run for very short times. They brought in a new 34.5kV feeder from the utility for this ride and then later extended the feeder to another ride that has a 10,000 hp hydraulic motor. In that ride a smaller electric motor builds up the pressure in the hydraulic accumulators, and when the ride is launched a valve releases the store pressure to drive the hydraulic motor.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.