Does anyone have any experience with Eaton MVX 9000 VFD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidA

This drive was set up to run an SEW motor that has a built in braking system. To get the brake to release I had to add a control relay to provide 230v of unmodified power to the brake. I was going to have this relay controlled by a digital output on the inverter labeled as DOC inverter run, but I couldn't find another terminal that would give me a difference in potential while the inverter was running. Does anyone have any experience with this drive and can you guide me to the solution? And yes, this is my first time having anything to do with a VFD.

David,

This is my first post on this forum so take this with a grain of salt. I downloaded the quick start PDF from Eaton, and I believe I can see your confusion. It appears to be a less than accurate translation. The PDF located at http://stubbylatheusa.com/manuals/MVX_TD4002003E_Feb06.pdf appears to be of better quality and accuracy. On page 5-28 there is a diagram of how the outputs should be connected. Note that the output you selected is a transistor output suitable for 24 volt DC only. The relay outputs R01 and R03 can be used with ac voltage or DC voltage. ( The terminal labeled R02 in the PDF is the common terminal.) On a quick glance I could not find a voltage or current rating for these outputs. Typically on most competitor's drives these would be rated somewhere around 240 volts at 1 amp. I would not connect the brake coil directly to any of these outputs, but use an interposing relay like you suggested earlier.

Of course you will have to select the proper parameter to apply to the output you have selected.

DavidA

Correct, it's a SEW Eurodrive motor attached to a gear reduction unit. It opens and closes a metal door on a almond 'Bin Dumper.' The headache of finalizing the drive parameters belongs to the control company that designed the PLC for the bin dumper unit. The biggest issue that I see is that the integral brake in the motor clamps down while the VFD is still ramping down the motor. Yeah, they could've programmed a timer or something at the PLC to control the brake relay, but the way they did the manual controls for the unit would've meant completely rewiring/reprogramming their control cabinet. Ah the joy of prototypes.

Besoeker

Curious as to why they have a brake on it when they have a VFD and are using ramp down. Seems like a braking resistor would be the ticket while the drive is being used. Manual control adds a bit of fun but with a PLC...looks easy from here.
Given the application it's possibly to hold the load stationary when the drive is not running rather than to help with deceleration.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Given the application it's possibly to hold the load stationary when the drive is not running rather than to help with deceleration.

Well, yes. The whole jist of the problem. No brake until output frequency is 0-x?? hz. Entirely doable with VFD parameters and onboard relay. On startup once the drive output hz is enough to overcome or hold the load, release the brake. Reverse the procedure on stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.