Does cable tray have to be bonded to stubs? DO NOT DELETE in this section

Status
Not open for further replies.

CEBen

For the voice and data stub ups in a school or office building is there a code requirement that they be bonded with copper wire to the voice and data cable wire basket cable tray?

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
I've seen nothing in the NEC that would require them to be bonded together if they are only handling communications wiring.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
This is a chapter 8 installation, and not subject the rules in Chapters 1-4 unless chapter 8 has a requirement to do so, see 90.3.
Generally, circuits under 50 volts do not require bonding.

cadpoint

I kind read two different questions, stub ups and cable trays,

I've bonded and been be required to bonded cable trays per spec. bell services, data, and seems to be a local theme around here.

I've have been asked to carry a wire for a ground bar for the new style telephone/ Cable demarc, be it from the main or even a floor panel!

I've even had minimun space distance requirements of the power devices in respects to the other services of data/CTTV or phone, based on stub ups.

But I've never been asked to bond the stub up, on a branch service (if your implying that)
Demarc yes, and everything assoicated touchs there alone.

The only thing that keeps the cable or phone person happy around here is to supply them a ground bar...

CEBen

Ok this reaffirms my understanding of the code. The stub ups need not be grounded and since they are for the voice/data system only, the only chapter that applies is Chapter 8. After reading NEC 390, I can only assume they are referring to ELECTRICAL cable tray that is carrying over 50 volts. Furthermore all of the references in the code use the phrase "the cable tray or stub can be used as a grounding conductor if certain conditions are met." Well I am not wanting to use the stubs as a grounding conductor.

Does anyone have any practical reason as to why the voice/data stubs should be bonded, or should we just bond every steel stud in this school?

KevinVost

When you are installing within a building and using a wiring method from chapter 3, it must be installed according to the rules of chapter 3, see 800.110. That will direct you to things like 300.10, 300.11 and 300.12.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
When you are installing within a building and using a wiring method from chapter 3, it must be installed according to the rules of chapter 3, see 800.110. That will direct you to things like 300.10, 300.11 and 300.12.

What size copper wire would you require a bonding jumper to be between the cable tray and stub-ups?

Based on what section of the NEC?

CEBen

Data Stubs Bonding

Data Stubs Bonding

For a new elementary school we are running all of the Cat6 data cable in cable tray and then transition to 1" EMT stubs running down the walls to a 4 square with mud ring.

Are the data stubs required to be bonded to the cable tray? Has anyone done this if not in the specification?

CEBen

Data/Voice Stubs Bonding to Cable Tray

Data/Voice Stubs Bonding to Cable Tray

For a new school project we are running Cat6 data wire in cable tray and then transition to 1" emt stubs in the walls with a 4 square box and mud ring.

Is it required that the cable tray be bonded to every individual data stub?

iwire

Staff member
Ben, I merged your four threads asking the same question into one thread.

Please do not keep starting new threads to ask the same question.

Status
Not open for further replies.