Does EMT have to be grounded?

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Sorry for a stupid question but I discovered this floating run of EMT while troubleshooting a unrelated circuit, it was near by and I figured it would be a ground reference. I am now attempting to find where it says EMT *shall* be grounded. I see it can be the EGC but not that it must be one or be connected to one, I see 300.10 requires metallic raceways to joined together but it stops short of saying it *shall* be grounded:
Electrical Continuity of Metal Raceways and Enclosures.
Metal raceways, cable armor, and other metal enclosures for conductors electrical shall be metallically joined together info a continuous electrical conductor ...

The run of EMT in question starts at a LB that is fed by non-metallic raceway (liquid tight flex via basement), The EMT continues then terminates in a non-metallic equipment enclosure (UL listed equipment not a jbox so no 314).

hornetd

Occupation
Journeyman Electrician, Retired
Sorry for a stupid question but I discovered this floating run of EMT while troubleshooting a unrelated circuit, it was near by and I figured it would be a ground reference. I am now attempting to find where it says EMT *shall* be grounded. I see it can be the EGC but not that it must be one or be connected to one, I see 300.10 requires metallic raceways to joined together but it stops short of saying it *shall* be grounded:

The run of EMT in question starts at a LB that is fed by non-metallic raceway (liquid tight flex via basement), The EMT continues then terminates in a non-metallic equipment enclosure (UL listed equipment not a jbox so no 314).
By the definition used in most training environments the only stupid question is one that you lack the courage to ask! None of us spouted anything from the National Electric Code just after we were born. It takes time and a willingness to ask questions to learn any craft. Electrical work included.

In addition to the answers already given let me warn you that if the EMT is not bonded to the Equipment Grounding Conductor at both ends the resultant additional Impedance of the opposing magnetic fields between the EMT and the energized conductor that is faulted can delay or even prevent the opening of the energized conductor's Over Current Protective Device (OCPD). Th easiest way to bond it at the end of the circuit inside the nonmetallic equipment enclosure would be to install a bonding bushing on the threads of the EMT connector.
GND Bushing 1-2 inch.jpg
If the LB condulet is labeled with its cubic inch volume and that volume is sufficient for the EGC being 2 conductors instead of one then you could install a grounding screw and splice a bonding jumper with the 2 EGCs. Absent doing it in the condulet then I would think that you would need to install a metallic box or a nonmetallic box and a bonding bushing to bond the supply end of the EMT.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
By the definition used in most training environments the only stupid question is one that you lack the courage to ask! None of us spouted anything from the National Electric Code just after we were born. It takes time and a willingness to ask questions to learn any craft. Electrical work included.

In addition to the answers already given let me warn you that if the EMT is not bonded to the Equipment Grounding Conductor at both ends the resultant additional Impedance of the opposing magnetic fields between the EMT and the energized conductor that is faulted can delay or even prevent the opening of the energized conductor's Over Current Protective Device (OCPD). Th easiest way to bond it at the end of the circuit inside the nonmetallic equipment enclosure would be to install a bonding bushing on the threads of the EMT connector.
View attachment 2572839
If the LB condulet is labeled with its cubic inch volume and that volume is sufficient for the EGC being 2 conductors instead of one then you could install a grounding screw and splice a bonding jumper with the 2 EGCs. Absent doing it in the condulet then I would think that you would need to install a metallic box or a nonmetallic box and a bonding bushing to bond the supply end of the EMT.
I don't think that applies where the supply circuit conductors are in the same ferrous raceway as the EGC. It is my understanding that the additional impedance from the inductive reactance is only where a single conductor of an ac circuit it run through a ferrous raceway. The only example of that that I know of is a grounding electrode conductor in a ferrous raceway.

hornetd

Occupation
I don't think that applies where the supply circuit conductors are in the same ferrous raceway as the EGC. It is my understanding that the additional impedance from the inductive reactance is only where a single conductor of an ac circuit it run through a ferrous raceway. The only example of that that I know of is a grounding electrode conductor in a ferrous raceway.
Your right of course. I thought about the unbonded run of EMT in terms of it getting bonded to the Equipment Grounding Conductor (EGC) of a different branch circuit from the same panelboard which would be truly unlikely to be done here. Its a defective installation that needs to be repaired and not just bonded to some other bonding point. Replacing the L condulet with a metal box or just adding a metal box between the condulet and the smurf tube would do the job.

That doesn't apply here. I was remembering a caution that was given to us here, during continuing education class, about using the Equipment Grounding Conductor of another circuit from the same panel when bonding the non current carrying conductive parts of receptacle replacement or circuit extensions under Article:
250.130 Equipment Grounding Conductor Connections.
(B). For replacement of non–grounding-type receptacles with
grounding-type receptacles and for branch-circuit extensions
only in existing installations that do not have an equipment
grounding conductor in the branch circuit, connections shall
be permitted as indicated in 250.130(C).
(C) Nongrounding Receptacle Replacement or Branch Circuit
Extensions. The equipment grounding conductor of a
grounding-type receptacle or a branch-circuit extension shall
be permitted to be connected to any of the following
(4) An equipment grounding conductor that is part of
another branch circuit that originates from the enclosure
where the branch circuit for the receptacle or branch

circuit originates

This specific concern arises out of a circuit extension done with a Ferrous metal cable jacket or raceway which is then bonded to the EGC of a different branch circuit. An example would be the replacement of non grounding receptacles with the grounded type when the circuit extension supplying those receptacles does not have a EGC of any type. Such extended circuits would include the original Rome Wire and Cable "Romex type NM cable that did not include an EGC, and Knob and Tube wiring.

Under that condition you do have the Equipment Grounding/(Bonding) Conductor of that other branch circuit and the Energized Conductor of the circuit supplying the Replacement Receptacle or Circuit Extension carrying current in one direction only without the cancellation effect of either conductor being in the same raceway. If the improperly installed circuit is not repaired then the actual risk would be that the EMT portion of the run might become energized without it having the required low impedance pathway back to the source of the current.

Now, thanks to your help, i can see that It wouldn't be required or even necessary to bond the EMT at the equipment end. That said would you do it anyway. I know I would at least be tempted to finish it with a bonding bushing and drop the wire EGC into the lay in lug.

I've just gotta keep better notes from those continuing education classes and review them a couple of times afterwards to keep the ideas straight in my head.

Tom Horne

shortcircuit2

Now, thanks to your help, i can see that It wouldn't be required or even necessary to bond the EMT at the equipment end. That said would you do it anyway. I know I would at least be tempted to finish it with a bonding bushing and drop the wire EGC into the lay in lug.
If you are referring to the original post, YES the EMT needs to be bonded and grounded at the non-metallic equipment end.

hornetd

Occupation
If you are referring to the original post, YES the EMT needs to be bonded and grounded at the non-metallic equipment end.
Based on what. Any of us can say this or that needs to be done but without some justification that is just noise. A tag line on the electriciantalk.com reads "That which is asserted without justification can be rejected without justification."

Tom Horne

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
At one time i believe that short runs used as sleeves for cables did not require grounding. Don't know if that is still true and I certainly could be wrong. If it is a complete raceway then it should be grounded especially if building wire is run through it.

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
Well the flex is an easy fix, apparently when a panel was replaced they took out a short section of EMT and used liquidtight rather then bend a kick 90. It looks really sloppy so I'll get to replace that.
I was trying to avoid making waves as I am at a large facility with lots of busy bodies, but the remaining issue is the fiberglass equipment box at the other end is installed the same way as most all of the other equipment at the facility, EMT to fiberglass enclosure no bonding inside the enclosures.
I just got back an email from the engineering 'team' that says UL 508A does require it in section 24 :

"An enclosure made of insulating material, either wholly or in part, shall have a bonding means to provide continuity of grounding between all conduit openings"

hornetd

Occupation
At one time i believe that short runs used as sleeves for cables did not require grounding. Don't know if that is still true and I certainly could be wrong. If it is a complete raceway then it should be grounded especially if building wire is run through it.
That is , indeed, still true and has been for decades. The safety of that practice is based on decades of experience with the use of short lengths of metal guard to protect cables such as the original NM, which had no Equipment Grounding/Bonding Conductor, from physical damage. That practice originated with the early farm and home installations that were carried out by Electrical Consumer Cooperatives under rules set by the Rural Electrification Administration. All of the NM cable that was installed in hay lofts or Haymows had to be protected from penetration by pitchforks to a height 8 feet above the floor. That practice was entrenched before it was critically examined. That said the experience with such protection has been good.

One problem with that section is that "short" is not defined in the US National Electric Code (NEC). I have seen suggestions that EMT be run up the outside of a building between floors under that rule as a protection for a branch circuit run in cable. Those are justified in the eyes of some by what they perceive as a better appearance. But if damage to the cable does occur at either the entry or exit point on the protective cover, a not uncommon consequence of using field cut rigid conduit or water pipe that has not been reamed to remove the sharp burr that is created in cutting such ends with a pipe cutter instead of using a hacksaw, and does not have any protection at either end to protect the cable from abrasion were it passes over the edge of the piping used.
"An enclosure made of insulating material, either wholly or in part, shall have a bonding means to provide continuity of grounding between all conduit openings"
This language only applies to field assembled electrical systems. The need for any bonding at the point were the EMT connects to a piece of listed equipment is covered by the testing and approval standard applied to samples of the equipment by a Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory. If the initial testing demonstrates compliance with the approval standard that equipment is then listed by the testing laboratory as suitable for use in the environment which the testing was designed to imitate. The recognized testing laboratory then conducts follow up inspections of production runs at the place of manufacture and subjects randomly selected samples for continued compliance to the testing standard. If testing reveals that there is no likelihood that the equipment can be energized in such a way as to present a danger of contact with exposed energized surfaces then the manufacturer would not be required to provide a means to bond the equipment nor the raceway at the equipment.
don_resqcapt19
has reminded me that it is not essential to bond the metal raceway at both ends as long as any Grounding, Grounded, and energized conductors of that circuit are all in that same raceway. That is because any fault current would be traveling on conductors that are inside the same raceway so the magnetic fields generated by the flow of current will cancel each other out without inducing a counter voltage in the raceway. That said I will add that it goes against my grain to not have that EMT bonded to the EGC at both ends.

Tom Horne

gene6

Occupation
Electrician
is not essential to bond the metal raceway at both ends as long as any Grounding, Grounded, and energized conductors of that circuit are all in that same raceway.
Add unless entering a non-metallic box on the non-grounded end, as you can't terminate a metal raceway on a non-metallic box :
314.3 Nonmetallic Boxes. Nonmetallic boxes shall be permit-
ted only with open wiring on insulators, concealed knob-and-tube
wiring, cabled wiring methods with entirely nonmetallic sheaths,
flexible cords, and nonmetallic raceways.
unless its bonded in that enclosure:
Exception No. 1: Where internal bonding means are provided
between all entries, nonmetallic boxes shall be permitted to be
used with metal raceways or metal-armored cables.