Does Fluke T+ Meter replace the Wiggy? (Megger my Voltmeter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
All,

Bought a Fluke T+pro. Thought I might replace my Wiggy with something that does continuity also and has digital readout. The question: Is the impedance of the T+ low enough to rule out phantom voltage measurements. The instructions say ~5mA test current. At 120V, this would be 24 kOhms. It seems like this would be low enough. My DMMs are all in the MegaOhm range.

Thanks,

Mark

peter d

busman said:
Is the impedance of the T+ low enough to rule out phantom voltage measurements.

Yes, according to their literature and the displays they have in the supply house. Looking at the T+ the solenoidal testers are going the way of the dinosaur.

EBFD6

macmikeman said:
Fluke needs to build some shake and rattle into the digital units, and an orange light, before they can claim to replace my knopp testers, cat rating or not.

the Fluke T+ Pro does shake and light up as well as give a digital read out also has a rotation meter function and continuity/Ohm meter to 10K ohms

I love mine and have retired my Knopps forever!

SmithBuilt

I just bought one yesterday.

I emailed Fluke to ask about this meter and ghost voltage. Here is the response.

Mr. Smith

The input resistance for the T+'s voltage mode varies depending upon the applied voltage. It is approximately 20 kohms with 10 volts applied and goes up to about 240 kohms with 600 volts applied.

big john

I've been using my T+ Pro for a while now. It replaced the Vol-Con Elite. Both of these claim to reduce ghost-voltage but I was getting all kinds of false positives with the Vol-Con Elite.

The T+ Pro still responds to ghost voltage but the difference is the digital readout will usually clue you in.

For 120V circuits the easy way to test for phantom voltage is to active the GFCI test function. This puts a load of a couple of milliamps on the wire and you can watch the digital readout drop if the wire is dead.

This doesn't work on anything greater than 130V, unfortunately. But if I know my system voltage is 279V and the T+ is reading 263V then I have a pretty good idea. That being said, I'm still getting Fluke's Stray Voltage Eliminator to toss on there when I need to be sure.

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.