Does my Generac 10kW Standby generator require a primary disconnect?

fisch1974

Occupation
manufacturing
We have a 10kW Generac standby with a whole house transfer switch (200 amp) installed by the utility panel in the house. This generator has been installed since 2015 without any issues.

We are looking to move the location of the generator to a updated location (original location is no longer acceptable) and inquired about having the generator moved. We were told that this generator was lacking the required "primary disconnect" on the outside of the house and quoted in the $12K + range to do this relocation. My research seems to show that this generator does not require a primary disconnect. Is this information correct for West Michigan codes and/or would us moving the generator usually classify as a "new install?"

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Have you had more than one contractor quote the project with a scope of work?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
445.18 only requires a disconnecting means for 'other than cord and plug connected generators'. It does not specify that it has to be outside (or even readily accessible) or call it a 'primary disconnect'. It does require it to be lockable. Article 702 is silent on disconnecting means for that size generator, and only requires signage.

Adding a 60A disconnect should only add a couple hundred dollars to the overall cost of the job.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
The term primary disconnect may mean a disconnect ahead of the meter, which is now required by code. We don’t have enough info to know if the estimate is correct. As pointed out get additional estimates

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
Where? I don't believe you. Not for a 10kW generator on a residence. Also the NEC does not care about where meters are in circuits.
Sorry I meant an emergency disconnect. My experience is mostly pumping stations where our POCOs require a disconnect ahead of the meter on 480 volt services.
200 amps and under. Correct on meter location as the NEC does not require a cash register.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
That 12K quote may include moving the electrical feed from the generator, moving the gas line, pouring a new concrete pad, etc. It may be high, but we don't know all the details.

fisch1974

Occupation
manufacturing
My apologies on missing some of the details needed. The generator will be moving about 10 to 15 feet and I will be pouring the concrete pad for this. We are moving the generator from next to the house up next to one of our open patios, which will actually make it closer to the meter but I do know we will have to run a new electric line from the transfer switch to the generator due to that not being correctly installed the first time.