does this brilliant idea of mine violate any code sections or UL listing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I feel my 5:57 post was on topic.

How far do you go " to make things work " for your customer and possibly overextend your liability to save the customer money.
(reworking this x-former included)

Guess I was wrong.

RIP - x-former thread.

(soon to be deleted post probably)

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
How far do you go " to make things work " for your customer and possibly overextend your liability to save the customer money.
It would be better to start a new thread.
I think your other one got lost in the clutter of a derailment.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I feel my 5:57 post was on topic.

Guess I was wrong.

RIP - x-former thread.

(soon to be deleted post probably)
As Jim said, some posts may have got caught in the crossfire, it was a train wreck.

Please feel free to start another thread and hopefully it will fare better.

Roger

dlbarker2

Heat Buildup in Transformer

Heat Buildup in Transformer

I'd be most concerned with the heat buildup in the transformer. Even with the vents open, the sheetmetal case provides a lot of heat disipatation, and as you know, the sheet metal can get really hot. Insulate that and the transformer has to run hotter, and potentially hotter than allowably designed. Certainly you'd be violating the manufacturer's design requirements, and any resulting fire would be your liability.

BJ Conner

UL Listing

UL Listing

IF that transformer was tested by UL with the foam on it, your taking a chance putting on.
Your not doing your customer a favor if when the place burns down his insurance company says "to bad buddy,no money for you. you didn't have listed equipment."
Rubber mounting pads sometimes help.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
I'd be most concerned with the heat buildup in the transformer. Even with the vents open, the sheetmetal case provides a lot of heat disipatation, and as you know, the sheet metal can get really hot. Insulate that and the transformer has to run hotter, and potentially hotter than allowably designed. Certainly you'd be violating the manufacturer's design requirements, and any resulting fire would be your liability.

IF that transformer was tested by UL with the foam on it, your taking a chance putting on.
Your not doing your customer a favor if when the place burns down his insurance company says "to bad buddy,no money for you. you didn't have listed equipment."
Rubber mounting pads sometimes help.

He already talked to the manufacturer.....

when all else fails, ask the people who built it... so i did....
factory is located in comerce, calif. and i gave them a call
and spoke with one of their engineers.... his thoughts:

check first input voltage, if it's high, the xfmr will get *really* loud.
the core is clamped. not bolted or riveted.
sustained high voltage for extended periods can loosen the clamps.
tightening the clamps unevenly can warp the stack, and cause it to sing louder.
dirty input power can make it sing on a second or third harmonic.
dynamat can keep panels from resonating, and will not violate the listing,
if used on the outside of the case, and not covering any vents.

hurk27

He already talked to the manufacturer.....

talking to the manufacture and getting them to put it into writing can be a big difference when settling who pays when failures happen, for something like this I would want it in writing myself.
Now if he has an e-mail to the effect then I would make copies of it and have the customer file it to CMB;)

But after his other responses it doesn't look like a big deal as to how he is going about it with the fact the OPer is showing he has liability in mind.

iwire

Staff member
talking to the manufacture and getting them to put it into writing can be a big difference when settling who pays when failures happen, for something like this I would want it in writing myself.

I agree, if it goes bad a conversation will mean little.

Status
Not open for further replies.