Does this installation look compliant?

designer82

It's the main fused service disconnect for a large single family residential project.

Looks like they put the main disc. sw. inside some kind of cabinet. I think the main concern here is 110.26(3) Height of working space, which says 6.5' or height of the equip., whichever is greater. This doesn't look like 6.5' to me.

Section 110.26(A) does have this verbiage "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized". Not sure if this disc. sw. falls within this requirement.

Here is the photo:

designer82

Does not meet the dedicated equipment space nor the required working space.
Thank you Infinity. The dedicated equipment space applies only to "switchboards, switchgear, panelboards, MCC's" so this disc. sw. doesn't fall within those requirements.

But yes, the working space Sec. 110.26(3) is the problem unless it's 6.5' from that platform to the celling. (doubt it)

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
fyi, they confirmed that height is over 6.5'. I believe this install is compliant.
From the photo it's looks like it is not code compliant but it is hard to tell without dimensions. For one the base at the bottom is in the working space. The cut out at the top would need to be a minimum of 30" wide and 36" deep which it might be.

IMG-2404.jpg

stretch12

I don’t know if it’s nec or nec with mass amendment, but for a single family dwelling the head room could be less than 6.5 ft. May be long gone for all I know

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I don’t know if it’s nec or nec with mass amendment, but for a single family dwelling the head room could be less than 6.5 ft. May be long gone for all I know
That's an allowable exception in 110.26 for residential, 200A or less, basically to allow for basements that are not full height.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Section 110.26(A) does have this verbiage "likely to require examination, adjustment, servicing, or maintenance while energized". Not sure if this disc. sw. falls within this requirement
The fact that it is a FUSED disconnect makes it qualify, according to every AHJ I have dealt with on this.

Is that cabinet 36" from the front of the disconnect to the inside of the cabinet door?

Even if that's true, I don't think it meets the working height requirements, i.e. clear to the grade.
(3) Height of Working Space. The work space shall be clear
and extend from the grade, floor, or platform to a height of
2.0 m (61∕2 ft) or the height of the equipment, whichever is
greater.

And if this is a new install, I take it this is not in your state? Because MA is on the 2023 Code, so that main disconnect had to be on the outside, unless they have another one ahead of it...