Does this receptacle need to be GFI? Close to sink, other room

designer82

hmm getting conflicting information here. The receptacle is less than 6' to the edge of sink but it is in other room, separated by that door.
Does it not matter that it's in separate room (because the open door would provide direct path to sink), is that the reason that YES it is required GFI?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
hmm getting conflicting information here. The receptacle is less than 6' to the edge of sink but it is in other room, separated by that door.
Does it not matter that it's in separate room (because the open door would provide direct path to sink), is that the reason that YES it is required GFI?
All the NEC says is within 6' of a sink GFCI protection is required. There is no exception for the measurement to not go through a doorway.

210.8(A)(7)Sinks — where receptacles are installed within 1.8 m (6 ft) from the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
would it matter if that door was a wall? or still no difference?
2023 NEC 210.8 second sentence: "For the purposes of this section, the distance from receptacles shall be measured as the shortest path the power supply cord connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier."

So you must consider measuring through a doorway, but are not required to measure through a wall.

Whether the receptacles require GFCI will be very sensitive to the exact receptacle location. In each of the relevant wall segments, it appears to me that there is a location for the receptacle that could be chosen that would be over 6' from the sink and still within 6' of the edge of the doorway for the purposes of complying with 210.52(A).

Cheers, Wayne

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In the 50+ years I have been a helper and an electrician, I'm sure I have placed more than one receptacle outside a bathroom but within the required distance from a sink.

I have never, ever made one of them GFCI-protected, nor has it ever been brought up. Nobody has ever said that someone may use a bedroom receptacle instead of the bath receptacle.

If such a receptacle can not serve a space on the other side of a doorway, how can we nonetheless be required to make such a receptacle qualified to serve said space?

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I have never, ever made one of them GFCI-protected, nor has it ever been brought up
This issue is new to the 2020 NEC. The 2017 NEC in 210.8(F) second sentence also precluded having to measure through doorways.

If such a receptacle can not serve a space on the other side of a doorway, how can we nonetheless be required to make such a receptacle qualified to serve said space?
Easy--the required receptacles by 210.52(A) are based on the intended use, while the 210.8(F) GFCI rules are based on the possible use. If you can plug a hair dryer with a 6' cord into the receptacle, and throw the hair dryer into the sink, the receptacle gets a GFCI under the 2020 and later NEC, regardless of what room the receptacle is intended to be used from.

[And given that the receptacles from multiple bathrooms may be on the same 20A circuit per the NEC, this is an entirely plausible use case--someone else is using the blow dryer on the bathroom receptacles circuit in another bathroom, so I'll just plug into the bedroom circuit to blow dry my hair.]

Cheers, Wayne

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
In the 50+ years I have been a helper and an electrician, I'm sure I have placed more than one receptacle outside a bathroom but within the required distance from a sink.

I have never, ever made one of them GFCI-protected, nor has it ever been brought up. Nobody has ever said that someone may use a bedroom receptacle instead of the bath receptacle.

It’s a new requirement. For our safety, and yours. 👮‍♂️😎