Does Wire Mold / Surface Mounted Raceway need to me mechanicaly continous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio28

I need to know if there is any article in the NEC related to wire mold being mechanically continuous. I only run low voltage audio and video wiring. There are cases where I install a Surface mounted box with a piece of molding going strait up for about 8 feet then run the wire exposed. This is in a Vaulted wood ceiling. There is no way to install mechanically continous molding. Is there anywhere in the NEC with these rules?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I need to know if there is any article in the NEC related to wire mold being mechanically continuous. I only run low voltage audio and video wiring. There are cases where I install a Surface mounted box with a piece of molding going strait up for about 8 feet then run the wire exposed. This is in a Vaulted wood ceiling. There is no way to install mechanically continous molding. Is there anywhere in the NEC with these rules?

Art 300, 725, 740, and 820. A caution on your "Low Voltage" audio, sometimes audio wiring needs to be a chapter 3 wiring method.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
True. If it is a Class 1 circuit then it would have to be installed the same as power. It was somewhat common a few years ago to find Class 1 wiring being required from the outputs of some commercial audio amps to the speakers but that's kind of unusual today. Most now are CL2. You will find the wiring requirement printed on the amp next to the outputs. Consumer stuff usually won't say anything though.

-Hal

Status
Not open for further replies.