Dog pound GFCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Just completed a job today at a town garage. Reason being OSHA paid a visit and made a list. Most things made sense (exit signs out, cord caps with ground pins cut off, etc)

They asked that all the receptacles in the dog pound section of the garage be changed to GFCIs. :confused:

2 questions:

Is this in the NEC? I don't have my book with me.

Can OSHA ask for things to be brought up to modern codes? This particular town garage was built in 1988.

[ July 28, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

benaround

Re: Dog pound GFCI?

peter d,

Maybe you could change the c.b. to gfci instead of the recpts., If it smells that bad!!
I think even in 1988 that recpts. below 18" in classified location to be gfci,but that's just out of memory.

frank

peter d

Originally posted by benaround:
peter d,

Maybe you could change the c.b. to gfci instead of the recpts., If it smells that bad!!
I think even in 1988 that recpts. below 18" in classified location to be gfci,but that's just out of memory.

frank
It would have been nice to use a GFCI breaker, but one slight problem: The panel is an FPE. Not the cheap stab lock but a bolt on kind. Same cheap looking breakers though.

A dog pound is a classified location? Because of the methane content? :D

peter d

Originally posted by ryan_618:
If this falls within the scope of a commercial garage, you would have to comply with 511.12, but I have a strange feeling that it doesn't.
The dog pound was completely separated from the garage portion of the building, so I don't see how that could apply.

On another note, the other guy I was working with caused a short and guess what? The FPE breaker actually tripped!!

hardworkingstiff

Originally posted by peter d:
It would have been nice to use a GFCI breaker, but one slight problem: The panel is an FPE. Not the cheap stab lock but a bolt on kind.
Can you get a GFCI receptacle in the circuit before it leaves the panel area?

peter d

Originally posted by hardworkingstiff:
Can you get a GFCI receptacle in the circuit before it leaves the panel area?
The job's allready done. I had to put a GFCI receptacle in each location. The walls of the pound were concrete block with a single conduit coming into each box. They all joined up in the ceiling in a j-box. So I couldn't even use the load side feature. Oh well....thank you OSHA. :roll:

bphgravity

I believe OSHA might consider receptacles that will be used by workers to perform maintenance or other operations with portable tools and equipment as a temporary electrical power and thus require the gfci protection. Similar to the requirements in Article 590.

Just to put in a word, I have shot myself in the foot a few times thinking I would remedy the problem by throwing in a GFCI only to have my Electrician remind me that we have Multi-wire circuits and that it will be a pain to pull a Ded. neutral thru the existing conduits

"but it looked Sooooooooooo good on paper......."

I relaize that this was a Residential application so you probabbly had Romex and it wouldnt apply to you.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by georgeswe:
Just to put in a word, I have shot myself in the foot a few times thinking I would remedy the problem by throwing in a GFCI only to have my Electrician remind me that we have Multi-wire circuits and that it will be a pain to pull a Ded. neutral thru the existing conduits
GFCI receptacles will work fine on multiwire branch circuits.

redfish

They asked that all the receptacles in the dog pound section of the garage be changed to GFCIs.
Maybe they are worried that a dog might pee on the receptacle. :D

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

An FPE panel in a dog pound?

For the animal's sake, I hope the building is sprinklered and has a fire alarm. I hope the same thing for the cities sake. The backlash from a fire could be pretty severe.

You should let someone know what kind of reputation these panels have.

luke warmwater

I bid a dog kennel once.

All of the receptacles in the kennel areas were spec'd GFCI. I asked the owner about it, and he said they wash down the walls and floors.

Seemed like a good idea.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer

The general rule in dog pounds is that everything will get peed on.

And the reception desk just inside the front door is the #1 target :eek:

peter d

Originally posted by steve66:
An FPE panel in a dog pound?

For the animal's sake, I hope the building is sprinklered and has a fire alarm. I hope the same thing for the cities sake. The backlash from a fire could be pretty severe.

You should let someone know what kind of reputation these panels have.
Not just for the dog pound, but for the entire public works complex including the pound, the town garage and DPW office, and all the fuel dispensing equipment.

It does have a fire alarm, but it's an old one from 1991. No sprinklers.

There's not a chance that the town will pay for a new service. These are big bolt on panels we are talking about here. As I said earlier, my coworker caused a short and the breaker did indeed trip almost immediately, surprisingly enough. So perhaps the quality of FPE wasn't so bad in the late 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.