Door Bell

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnunez

I am currently working on a 17 story condo w/ 255 units. I am trying to come up with a practical yet attractive method of installing the door bell push buitton. As I am in Clark County, NV. all Wiring must be in conduit or armored cable, which inturn must attach to some sort of enclosure which would contain the wiring to the actual button. I am considering installing 16 gauge flat stock as backing and drilling a 1/2" hole to attach an MC connector with a rigid coupling and chase nipple on the corridor side (2 layers of 5/8" drywall). I hope someone has a much better Idea as I am not sure My inspector will by this. (I have not discussed this with him.)

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Re: Door Bell

Are the doorbells low voltage?? Are you sure they require low voltage wiring in conduit or MC cable? That seems really overkill.

Steve

physis

I agree with Steve.

Are you sure the conduit requirement is for low voltage too?

physis

I hope it's in the bid.

Edit: There ought a be a law. :D No stupid laws. :D

[ July 13, 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

What about terminating the MC in a standard wall case with a single gang openning through the drywall?

That way you can use a standard blank device plate.

As I recall, the standard snap in round pushbutton doorbutton needs a 5/8" hole. It'd be a simple matter to drill that into a plate that matches all the other device plates out in the hall.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

"Wall case". Heh! Sorry, didn't mean to confuse.

Yes, a single gang openning in the wall surface with a box behind it. . .could be a 4x4 with a single gang plaster ring or a plain old single gang box.

al hildenbrand

Occupation

The nice thing, as I think of it, is the box provides space to store some "make up" lead length for the future. The pushbutton will wear out eventually, and a new one can connect to fresh conductor with no difficulty.

The flip side might be that the cover plate may take too much space on the wall. Or there might be aesthetic objections from a designer-of-influence.

dnunez

I agree with you Al, This solution may be somewhat obtrusive. At the entrance. But thanks for the suggestions. I think I will wonder around some other condos being built and see what I can see.

[ July 14, 2005, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: dnunez ]

Status
Not open for further replies.