Door Chime

Status
Not open for further replies.

megawatt

I had a Customer ask Me about a door chime She had purchased several years ago, and her words were " It never worked right " She also said She had replaced 3 buttons trying to get it to work.
It has 10 different tones to choose from: Happy Birthday, Christmas, Elvis...etc Pushing the button at the door only plays the first note. If you hold the button in, it plays the entire song.
I couldn't find any numbers or information on it, but unless there's some sort of internal contacts to stay closed during the tune ?/? It will always play the first note only.
Anybody ever seen one of these ? She is a real sweetheart, and loves this old thing.
Thanks in advance to any & all who read this !

la2151

There is frequently a resistor that comes with the chimes. Has to be put on button to hold power till it completes. May have to check with manufactor to get a new one.Hope this helps.

ericsherman37

I have a bone-bare basic doorbell chime. A little solenoid with a spring-mounted plunger. Push the button it strikes the "DING" xylophone bar, and then the spring pops it back down to hot the "DONG" xylophone bar.

Actually it hasn't been donging lately. Gotta fix that I guess.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I wonder if the lighted button is the problem. Take the light out and see what happens or by pass the switch manually. I have never seen a chime that needs you to hold the button in to play longer tunes. How would the guest know this. The ones I used played the tune that was selected from the chart and that's it.

megawatt

Thanks everybody, I couldn't find any type of Mfg. Info, or number, and searching the web turned up zero.
I can see where an added diode may solve this problem, but it would need to be installed at the chime. Anyone tried this, and if so what type diode worked ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Thanks everybody, I couldn't find any type of Mfg. Info, or number, and searching the web turned up zero.
I can see where an added diode may solve this problem, but it would need to be installed at the chime. Anyone tried this, and if so what type diode worked ?
There usually is a diode or resistor, I never know which it is, on the lighted button. I would really check the chime without the button before I did anything else. Also let us know what you find.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Unless the chime itself has a source of power like from a separate transformer or maybe even batteries the only way it's going to get power is through the usual chime transformer and a "bypass" at the button. That bypass is what the diode or resistor is. When the button is not being pressed the internal battery is charged through the diode or resistor. So the first thing I would look at is does the chime have it's own source of power. If by some chance it does then a normal button without a light should work fine. If it doesn't and it needs a resistor across the button contacts good luck in determining the value although I would think a button with a light would do the same thing. You could try a diode (1N4148 from Rat Shack) across a regular push button. There is a polarity involved so try it one way then swap the leads and connect it the other if nothing happens the first time. Other than this I don't know what else to tell you. If you can't locate the original instructions you are out of luck.

-Hal

Just had a call on this last week ,what happend was the home owner tried to fix it first and tossed the old button .so I called the manufacturer and they gave me the size resister i needed for that chime .

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I have installed quite a few musical chimes over the years and have never installed one that required a resistor at the button. They have all required a diode.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I installed a musical chime and never did anything special. Perhaps the diode was built in-- this was about 20 years ago- 1989 or so.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I installed a musical chime and never did anything special. Perhaps the diode was built in-- this was about 20 years ago- 1989 or so.

Did both transformer wires connect to the chime or did the chime have batteries? If there isn't a constant power source the chime can't continue to play after the button is released. Installing a diode on the button allows the chime to have constant power. Some older chimes did require both transformer wires so they were not easy to install as replacements. Someone eventually figured out the diode trick.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Did both transformer wires connect to the chime or did the chime have batteries? If there isn't a constant power source the chime can't continue to play after the button is released. Installing a diode on the button allows the chime to have constant power. Some older chimes did require both transformer wires so they were not easy to install as replacements. Someone eventually figured out the diode trick.

There wasn't constant power to the chime nor a battery but the chime would play about 5-10 sec. of a song. I never thought about it but I know I did nothing special.

megawatt

Success !

Success !

Well Gentlemen... I installed a diode across the Doorbell button screws, and now there is a 74 year old Lady who thinks I may be the smartest Guy She knows !
I told her that, in the spirit of Full Disclosure, I had help from the experts on the Mike Holt Forum. Of course this meant nothing to Her, but it was pretty cool to see how happy this made Her. Seems it was something she & the late Husband purchased together, and really enjoyed. It had been 15 years since it had worked !!
Thanks for all the help Guys.

la2151

door chimes

door chimes

Great Job. Always is one of the best parts of our industry to see a really happy customer. You didn't tell us where you finally did find the diode? did it go on the button?

megawatt

Sorry... I haven't looked in for a few days. I installed the diode at the doorbell, across the two screws. It now holds the signal long enough for about 8 notes ! Thanks to everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.