Door Interlock on Drive Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

dasarmin

I received an 800HP DC Drive Package last week; the vendor provided the drive, main breaker, line reactor, etc. The vendor contracted the enclosure build with a local panel shop.
I ask the enclosure meet UL 508.
My question is about the enclosure doors not being interlocked to main breaker. The enclosure doors (2-door enclosure) do have a handle that can be looked with a key. However, with the main breaker on, the doors can be opened.
Is it a requirement (NFPA or NEC) that Drive Enclosure Doors be interlocked such that the doors cannot be open with the main breaker on?
With other drive enclosure packages we?ve received that come directly from the OEM, the doors are interlocked with the external breaker handle. There is a provision to bypass this interlock, generally with a screw driver.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Is it a requirement (NFPA or NEC) that Drive Enclosure Doors be interlocked such that the doors cannot be open with the main breaker on?

It is not an NEC requirement.
It is not a gneral UL requirement
It is not an NFPA 70E requirement

It is an NFPA79 suggestion.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
NFPA 79E section 6.2.3 Enclosure Interlocking, is not a requirement?

Compliance with NFPA79 is not a requirement, in the way that compliance with the NEC is. NFPA79 is a voluntary standard which many companies choose to integrate into their equipment specifications.

I think an arguement could be made that NFPA79 is not even an 'industry' consensus standard (like NFPA 70E is). It seems to be geared toward the machine tool industry, more than stand alone genral purpose electrical panels.

As a specification writer I do include reference to NFPA79.

Status
Not open for further replies.