Door mag holder part of fire alarm system

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technical argument. I haven't worked on much fire alarm lately, but recently some guys were trying to 'split' hairs about whether the door holders (mags that release under fire alarm to close the doors) were technically not part of the fire alarm system. I am not sure about this because as I see it , if it is part of the life safety fire system , then I would be go ahead say it is. I don't work on them much.

Reason for this is our local codes require all boxes and devices etc.. have to painted red (so I assumed that would require the door mag boxes as well). I have seen it go either way with fire marshals and electrical inspectors in our area where they required it for the door boxes and a few just let it slide. Also there was the issue of working on the system and tying in the devices both the door holders and strobes/horns where they require local fire alarm certification cards.

Me personally I would err on the side of caution and its a simple thing to do to just paint the door holder box red, instead of getting into potential head butt with the fire inspector. Fire marshal inspectors and electrical inspectors have asked for the fire alarm card certifications before and have cited people for not having it

What is your area like? Do you agree the door holders are part of the fire alarm system? I do not claim to be a fire alarm expert or tech.

Dsg319

Occupation
Wv Master “lectrician”
Technical argument. I haven't worked on much fire alarm lately, but recently some guys were trying to 'split' hairs about whether the door holders (mags that release under fire alarm to close the doors) were technically not part of the fire alarm system. I am not sure about this because as I see it , if it is part of the life safety fire system , then I would be go ahead say it is. I don't work on them much.

Reason for this is our local codes require all boxes and devices etc.. have to painted red (so I assumed that would require the door mag boxes as well). I have seen it go either way with fire marshals and electrical inspectors in our area where they required it for the door boxes and a few just let it slide. Also there was the issue of working on the system and tying in the devices both the door holders and strobes/horns where they require local fire alarm certification cards.

Me personally I would err on the side of caution and its a simple thing to do to just paint the door holder box red, instead of getting into potential head butt with the fire inspector. Fire marshal inspectors and electrical inspectors have asked for the fire alarm card certifications before and have cited people for not having it

What is your area like? Do you agree the door holders are part of the fire alarm system? I do not claim to be a fire alarm expert or tech.
I just recently started working on door access systems. Strikes and mag locks.

The mag locks control panel does get a wire from the fire alarm system to de-energize the mag lock in the event of a fire.

So I would consider it a crucial part of the fire alarm system.

Buck Parrish

I agree with @Dsg319. If you pull the fire alarm the door shuts. It's a part of the fire alarm control network. I know a lot of folks are buying red conduit and red boxes. We always just painted them.
If they forgot to install using red conduit, just paint it with fire resistant red paint. Keep the can to show the inspector if asked.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I’m going back many years since I worked in NYC so I’m not sure how Codes have changed. That said, if the DH’s are low voltage powered and controlled from the FA panel then they are considered part of the FA system. On the other hand, if the DH’s are 120V and just controlled by the FA system then they are just a convenience to hold doors open. A relay contact break would release the doors. Power can be fed from any 120V source on that floor. The FA system conduits and JB’s containing the control wiring would have to be identified (red). I don’t see any reason to identify the 120V circuit conduits for the DH’s. If that circuit is interrupted for any reason the doors close - so what ?

Just my opinion - I have no Code references - just thinking logically.

Status
Not open for further replies.