Door release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Electrician
I need to power a door release using #12 wire @24v dc,does anybody know if landscaping wiring is suitable for in-wall use(its the only thing I can find that's readily available).

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
We use 12-2 indoor low voltage wiring. It has grey sheathing and no ground comes on a 1000 foot roll. I've got about 800 feet left on a roll I bought over a year ago. Wanna buy some of it? :D

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I need to power a door release using #12 wire @24v dc,does anybody know if landscaping wiring is suitable for in-wall use(its the only thing I can find that's readily available).

What?? You don't have any thermostat wire? And what kind of EC are you if you aren't using blue CAT5 for this?:happysad:

Why does it have to be 12? What kind of release, I've never seen a release that drew that much current. Maybe a maglock?

-Hal

del91574

It sounds like a large magnetic holder to me....wouldn't be surprised if it was 120V.

THHN would also apply as well.

Chamuit

Grumpy Old Man
Occupation
Electrician
If you have any kind of distance with low voltage, you might need the #12 for voltage drop.

Occupation
Electrician
It's a Von Duprin EL series door holder with a solenoid which has 16 amps in rush current and about 1 amp holding.The manufacturer recommends a #12 wire,I tried using an existing 16/4 which runs from the lobby up three floors by doubling up the conductors which works for opening but not for holding,so now I need to replace with a #12.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
Without looking I'm not sure what two #16s in parallel are equal to but I'm willing to bet it's close to or better than a #12. Considering the 1 amp holding current and the holder not holding I don't think the wire size is where your problem is. I would measure the voltage at the supply and then at the holder while activated to see what the drop is to confirm. The supply should be close to 24 volts also under load. Betcha it isn't.

-Hal

Last edited:

MAK

It's a Von Duprin EL series door holder with a solenoid which has 16 amps in rush current and about 1 amp holding.The manufacturer recommends a #12 wire,I tried using an existing 16/4 which runs from the lobby up three floors by doubling up the conductors which works for opening but not for holding,so now I need to replace with a #12.

Are you talking about a Von Duprin EL Series panic bar?

nhfire77

What?? You don't have any thermostat wire? And what kind of EC are you if you aren't using blue CAT5 for this?:happysad:

Why does it have to be 12? What kind of release, I've never seen a release that drew that much current. Maybe a maglock?

-Hal

Is it just a single maglock on the circuit? I routinely tie 8-10 maglocks @24vdc *250mA using #12 THHN (voltage drop is the reason for the upsize more than current.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
As I tried to explain above if it was a wire problem you would have problems with the opening which requires the higher current. Your problem with the holding which requires a much lower current has to be due to something else. A simple check with a volt meter should tell you what you need to know.

-Hal

Not knowing the distance certainly makes it a guesswork, but parallel #16 result in 23.8 V @100' and that should be more than sufficient to hold the closer. Measure the voltage at the supply terminals under full load and if it is 3-4 volts less than 24V, you may have an undersized power supply. Your connection needs to be very good also because loose or oxidized connections, resulting in high resistance, can also cause excessive voltage drop.

Occupation
Electrician
It turns out a mechanical adjustment was needed to make the door operate,Von Duprin refused to do any troubleshooting until the wire was changed.

kwired

Electron manager
I am not going to get into determinining what size is needed, but if for any reason it is determined that 12 AWG is what is needed what is wrong with using NM, AC, or MC cables?

Occupation
Electrician
Partly because the only path to the first floor was in an existing low voltage riser conduit,NM is not allowed in this building in NYC and partly because I needed the flexibility to snake the cable through the door and door frame.

hbiss

Occupation
EC
It turns out a mechanical adjustment was needed to make the door operate...

Told ya.

Von Duprin refused to do any troubleshooting until the wire was changed.

How would they know? Just say yeah we changed it. Better yet tell them is is #12 which is no lie. Did they send someone out to look at it?:happyno:

Who you going to believe them or us?:cool:

-Hal

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.