Doorbell Chime Extender

Status
Not open for further replies.

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I am looking for a doorbell chime extender to us in a large house where doorbell can't be heard in cetain areas. The wiring is concealed and it would be difficult to add wired chimes.

Existing is Nutone with lighted buttons. I want the type that has a transmitter wired into the existing chimes and receivers plugged in to 120v outlets in various locations.

Would anyone who has installed this in a similiar situation recommend a reliable product that will work with the Nutone & lighted buttons? Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I installed one years ago but cannot remember the brand. I got it at a local hardware. I believe Lowes and Home Depot have them.

BTW, I just installed a wireless doorbell from Lowes. It works great. Button has a battery and the chime just plugs in an outlet-- no wires. I realize that is not what you want but just thought I would throw it out there.

dhalleron

I only have experience with one I installed in my house. It does not wire into the door chime, it has a microphone and listens for the chime sound. It can also ring the remote chime when my dog barks. Mine is an off brand I bought from Home Depot or Lowes. It?s a Desa Specialty Products model SL-6166-RX-A

I've read many of the wired in version don't like lighted buttons. I don't know which ones will work though.

Whatever one you get, make sure to change the default code on it. Just in case a neighbor has the same one set to default. My neighbor across the street has the same one I do. It took him a while to figure out we were on the same channel. Sometimes his would ring and when he went to the door nobody was there, but there was somebody standing on my front porch.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
We have a wired-to-the-original-chime transmitter and two receivers, and it works flawlessly; separate ring for each button, which are illuminated. Bought at one of the above-mentioned orange or blue stores.

S'mise

We have a wired-to-the-original-chime transmitter and two receivers, and it works flawlessly; separate ring for each button, which are illuminated. Bought at one of the above-mentioned orange or blue stores.

He's looking for a name/model # (if you have it)

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
I put in a higher va transformer and made the existing unit "louder" (or clearer?) and talked to my customer about wireless extension, since I couldn't tell him how well it would work we agreed to wait. Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.