Doors to electrical rooms over 1200 amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

slaet

When a door is installed to an electrical room, does the door have to open in the direction of travel and have panic bars, pressure plates etc., when the door is outside the required working space? For example: If the required working clearance is 3 ? feet in front of the panel and the door to the room is 8 feet from the front of the panel, 4 feet six inches outside the required working space, does this door have to comply with 110.26(C)(2) for direction and hardware? (2005 NEC)

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Doors to electrical rooms over 1200 amps

Yes. Before that article starts talking about "unobstructed exit" and "extra working space," it has already said that you need to open out and have panic hardware. It is, admittedly, a bit tricky in its language.

The article first says that you need "one entrance." Shortly thereafter, it says that if the entrance has a personnel door (as opposed to a large access designed to let you remove the switchgear), then that door must open out and have panic hardware. Back to the first sentence, we see that the required "one entrance" has to exist at both ends of the room.

So by the time you get to the part about having lots of extra working space, all you get is the ability to omit the second entrance. But the rules pertaining to the first entrance still apply.

jwelectric

Charlie,
A little humor for the day, this question and answers are copied and pasted form a test generator CD I have. This question is based on the 1999 cycle of the NEC.
Which answer would you choose?
Which of the following statements is/are true about the working space for equipment rated 1200 amperes or more and over 6 ft (1.83 m) wide that contains overcurrent devices?

1: Where the location permits a continuous and unobstructed way of exit travel no entrance to the working space is required.
2: Where the work space doubled, no entrance to the working space is required.

a- 1: only c- Both 1: and 2:
b- 2: only d- Neither 1: nor 2:
I have had a few laughs with this question. I sometimes give it as an extra credit assignment to see if the class will research the past cycles of the NEC.
I think that part of 1 was left off and the new end that was added to two was added to 1 because the answer sheet shows 1 to be the right answer.

:D

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

Very funny. :D :D

I like to give trick questions, when I give technical presentations. It keeps the audience attentive, because they suspect that I will try to trick them.

This one is a "trick question" for two reasons. As the question is written, the correct answer is "D: Neither 1 or 2." ;)

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by jwelectric:
Yes as I see it if we can?t enter then why worry about the exit.
If we can't enter there is no electric gear to see anyway.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation

There's a decades old story (might be pure legend, but I am prepared to believe it) about an aircraft carrier that had been in service for a few years. One of the officers thought there was something strange about the layout of rooms, so he looked at the plans. He ordered a hole cut into a wall, and discovered a complete metal working shop, including tools, that had never been used. Someone had forgotten to install doors. Until that officer started snooping around nobody knew it was there. :D :D

jwelectric

Originally posted by iwire:
Originally posted by jwelectric:
Yes as I see it if we can?t enter then why worry about the exit.
If we can't enter there is no electric gear to see anyway.
Bob
ROTFL
This is like the tree that fall in the woods and there is no one around to hear it. Did it make a sound?

I get a lot of debate from this misprint but I have a lot of people who always remember that we must be able to exit this room while blindfolded.
:)

jwelectric

Originally posted by charlie b:
There's a decades old story (might be pure legend, but I am prepared to believe it) about an aircraft carrier that had been in service for a few years. One of the officers thought there was something strange about the layout of rooms, so he looked at the plans. He ordered a hole cut into a wall, and discovered a complete metal working shop, including tools, that had never been used. Someone had forgotten to install doors. Until that officer started snooping around nobody knew it was there. :D :D
I heard this story back in ?75 while I was in electrical school. My instructor at that time was big on telling stories. Every day at break he would tell us how to retrieve a full cup of coffee for the Captain no matter how bad the weather or rough the sea.
:D

Status
Not open for further replies.