Double breaker failed

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerslave

I had an inspector fail me on the use of a siemens double breaker. He said the breaker was not listed in the US only Canada. I went and looked at the breaker and on the sticker sure enough it shows the Csa logo and not the UL logo. However in small print underneath it did say Underwriters Laboratories Inc. listed breaker. Doesn't this mean it is listed in the US?

BTW, the panel is listed for more circuits than spaces. 8 spaces 12 circuits. I only used one double breaker in the panel.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
powerslave said:
I had an inspector fail me on the use of a siemens double breaker. He said the breaker was not listed in the US only Canada. I went and looked at the breaker and on the sticker sure enough it shows the Csa logo and not the UL logo. However in small print underneath it did say Underwriters Laboratories Inc. listed breaker. Doesn't this mean it is listed in the US?

BTW, the panel is listed for more circuits than spaces. 8 spaces 12 circuits. I only used one double breaker in the panel.

Are you talking about twin breakers where you have two singles in place of one standard breaker?

They are listed in the US UL is not the only listing lab in the USA there are others and I believe CSA is one of them.

powerslave

Dennis Alwon said:
Are you talking about twin breakers where you have two singles in place of one standard breaker?

They are listed in the US UL is not the only listing lab in the USA there are others and I believe CSA is one of them.

Yes, a twin breaker. The only mark is the Csa one. There are no actual UL marks. None of the ones in Chris' link.

I thought since it actually said in writng that it is a Underwriters Lab. Inc. listed breaker that it would be OK. I've used them before and never got dinged.

SiddMartin

what made him look for that?? is the breaker pink in color? Just wondering what threw up a flag for him to chk, I've never had an inspector chk the breakers that closely

powerslave

SiddMartin said:
what made him look for that?? is the breaker pink in color? Just wondering what threw up a flag for him to chk, I've never had an inspector chk the breakers that closely

I have no idea. At one point he questioned the new construction cans. They are supplied with four enclosed nails, one in every corner. He wondered if they were listed to be installed that way. :confused:

scrooge

powerslave said:
I have no idea. At one point he questioned the new construction cans. They are supplied with four enclosed nails, one in every corner. He wondered if they were listed to be installed that way. :confused:
Where you on the job-site with him when he inspected?

Status
Not open for further replies.