double duplex GFI

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

Thanks

Thanks

And yes that occured to me. So long as you put them in the same box, you'd only need the upstream device to be GFI.

The reason I asked was that a colleague told me he didn't think you could make a double duplex with GFI's. It occured to me that maybe there was some heating issue I was unaware of.

In any event, thanks for the input.

Mike

480sparky

mshields said:
And yes that occured to me. So long as you put them in the same box, you'd only need the upstream device to be GFI.

The reason I asked was that a colleague told me he didn't think you could make a double duplex with GFI's. It occured to me that maybe there was some heating issue I was unaware of.

In any event, thanks for the input.

Mike

You certainly could put two GFIs on the same circuit. Just pigtail the hot and neutral and don't use the Load side of the device.

Never heard of a heat issue. :confused:

mdshunk

I do it on a regular basis for whirlpool tubs with heat. Pump motor on one GFCI, and heat pack on the other GFCI, both in the same box.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
mdshunk said:
I do it on a regular basis for whirlpool tubs with heat. Pump motor on one GFCI, and heat pack on the other GFCI, both in the same box.

Must be a real joy to trim that out.

mdshunk

chris kennedy said:
Must be a real joy to trim that out.
How do you mean? A cover plate fits just fine. I always use a pretty deep box for dimmers and GFCI's when I remember. In the case of whirlpools with heat, I like to use a 2-1/8 deep four square with an RS cover, fixed under the mechanical space of the tub area. I normally feed that box with a 12/3

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Typically, we'd hide the GFCI itself in a nearby closet or something, where the GFCI could be reset without getting under the tub. I don't see the difference between installing two GFCI's or two plain old duplex receptacles under the tub itself, as far as ease of installation goes.

I'd just use a plain old 2 gang nail-on for the job if the GFCI's were under the tub; or in the installation I described, I'd probably use a single gang box with a duplex receptacle and simply bust both the hot and neutral tabs and put both the load sided GFCI's on the same duplex. It would be easy to remember to handle-tie the home runs in the panel (210.4), because I'd run a 12-3 home run to that tub.

mdshunk

georgestolz said:
Typically, we'd hide the GFCI itself in a nearby closet or something, where the GFCI could be reset without getting under the tub.
I struggled with wether or not I wanted to use that installation method for some time, but I never did it that way. Reason being, if the GFCI trips, I'd rather the tub get some professional attention and testing rather than the occupant simply resetting the very convenient GFCI.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
I'd rather the tub get some professional attention and testing rather than the occupant simply resetting the very convenient GFCI.
You know, at some point somebody's gonna call you to remove that padlock from the access door to the underside of their tub, whether the GFCI trips or not - it clashes with the curtains.

mdshunk

georgestolz said:
You know, at some point somebody's gonna call you to remove that padlock from the access door to the underside of their tub, whether the GFCI trips or not - it clashes with the curtains.
:grin:

No, not locked or anything. I just feel that people would be generally less inclined to remove an access panel and fiddle around under there. Particularly the demographic of folks who typically own whirlpool tubs. If "the tub's broke", they'd call someone if there isn't an obvious GFCI to reset someplace convenient.

peter d

In case anyone is interested, one of the Connecticut ammendments to the NEC disallows the GFI protection to be behind the access panel of the tub.

Status
Not open for further replies.