Double pole switch in lieu of disco

Status
Not open for further replies.

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
I often see discos diagrammatically shown on plan but the intent may be simply means of disconnect... any issues with using a double pole switch (lets say either a 240V/20A or 30A for sake of discussion) with a flex whip and term to the equipment? This assembly would be applied to exhaust fans, VAVs, etc in accessible ceilings typically.

As shown in the pic EEs typically show a switch for 120V/20A means of disconnect so I figured I'd ask the hive. Thanks!

Capture.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Nothing wrong with using Dp switches (208/240) v or sp switches (120/ 277) for controlling fans, etc. As long as a fuse is not mentioned on the nameplate the switches will work.

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
Great! Just trying to save cost while maintaining intent of design and code compliance. These little things help.

kwired

Electron manager
Some of those pull out AC disconnects cost less than a 2 pole toggle switch, box and cover. Sometimes the switch, box and cover might be more practical though.

KnightPower

I agree a pullout resi disconnect cost half what a 30A DP switch in 4" square does.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

KnightPower

Cool. I totally agree I prefer a DP toggle.. one on my WH in basement. I was replying to OP.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

cdslotz

Be sure to check all mechanical specs and schedules. A lot of those units are specified to have factory disconnects included

follybeacher

Occupation
Estimator
Be sure to check all mechanical specs and schedules. A lot of those units are specified to have factory disconnects included

this is good advice and I do check and qualify as such

I often forget about those resi pull out discos. I imagine they can't be installed in anything other than multifamily or resi... for example commercial applications where specs call out general duty safety switches or such?

jumper

this is good advice and I do check and qualify as such

I often forget about those resi pull out discos. I imagine they can't be installed in anything other than multifamily or resi... for example commercial applications where specs call out general duty safety switches or such?

If specs called for such-yes but those pull out discos are certainly used in commercial a lot.

They are not limited to resi applications.

cdslotz

If specs called for such-yes but those pull out discos are certainly used in commercial a lot.

They are not limited to resi applications.

Most commercial specs require heavy duty safety switches, so resi pull-outs would not be accepted

Status
Not open for further replies.