Double quad shield coax stripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbyho

I was wondering if anyone has a good method for stripping double quad shield coax. I use a coax stripper that is great for quad shield but a pain for double quad. I use f-snap seal coax connectors and have all the tools for but if they make a double quad stripper that would be great. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
bobbyho said:
I don't know, that is what my supply house calls it. 2 layers of stranded shield and 2 layers of "foil" shield.
That IS quad: 2 + 2 = 4. A standard RG-6 stripper should have no problem with quad-shield RG-6.

bobbyho

Ok,Ok that is what I am talking about. Now I will use the correct terminology. So again, is there something I am missing about stripping this stuff? Thanks for correcting me on the terminology, I hate to be redundant redundant.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
No, the same stripper can be used. The only difference between the various types of RG-6 is the shielding and overall diameter; the dielectric is the same thickness.

Check closely to see if the stripper has either cable-type settings or blade adjustments. What exactly is the problem you're having with the stripper you're using now?

In a pinch, I have used a razor knife (sharp) to strip coax when I don't have a stripper with me. Be sure to trim every strand of braid carefully, and watch for shorts.

Last edited:

bobbyho

The coax stripper I have has 4 grooves of different sizes and 2 blades that cut both the outer jacket and the dielectric. With the quad shield, it doesn't cut all the way through both sets of stranded shields. Is there another type of stripper?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Is there another type of stripper?

There are all kinds of strippers, some are junk and others work well. If the one you have doesn't cut properly and is not adjustable to compensate then you have the wrong stripper for the cable. You could grab a local cable guy and see what they use. I assume they use quad shield and that's why you use it. If they don't why are you wasting your money and time?

And yes, that is quad shield. I wouldn't take a supply houses word for something non-electrical.

-Hal

bobbyho

I got it from a well known national distributer of low voltage equipment. I am not sure if we can use names but when they have specials they are impossible to beat. I got a 500' roll of bundled cable (2 quad shield coax,2 cat5 AND 2 FIBERS for $250.00. I have been calling it double quad for years (although that ended today). Is there a good connector for the quad shield? I have used PPC,Ideal and whatever the cable guys have given me. I got away from hex crimps and those hokey thread on kind about 8 years ago.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Thats real nice except what are you going to use those fibers for?

Connectors are specific to the cable you are using them with as are strippers. I would check out the suppliers that the cable companies use like ARRIS Telewire Supply. See what manufacturers they stock then go to their websites to get the correct part number for the cable you are using so you can order. That's why it also helps if you use a brand name cable like Belden, Times, Commscope, etc. so you can get find the specs when you need to.

-Hal

bobbyho

Well, I won't be doing much with the fibers but it was 200.00 less for that bundle instead of the 2 coax and 2 cat5 bundle. They must have been trying to clear their shelves.

Status
Not open for further replies.