Double stack oven

Status
Not open for further replies.

resistance

An Inspector told me that I need to have two boxes for a double stack oven (residential)? Why is this? What's the normal (approx.) ampacity for a double stack oven?

Also, he said I would need to move my box up to about 48" behind the double stack???? Lost! Help!

Give me your input!

[ December 27, 2004, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: resistance ]

dave81

Re: Double stack oven

Usually they are about 40A. You usually don't need two boxes,you just need one box location but I would make it a deep box to fit your #8s comfortably. And usually a good location for these boxes are the upper right hand corner of where the oven will sit. I would definitely take a look at the appliance specs to get exact info on the units requirements though.

jimwalker

If it has two whips he might be calling it 2 appliances and looking at ocpd of each.As to the 48 inches my guess is so the whips will be under 6 feet and able to be pulled out far enough to unhook.There are some that have convection micro waves and the requirements are high in amperage.Would read the instructions first then question him on his call.

resistance

He didn't explain why, so it had me questioning my experience. The upper right hand corner sounds like a good idea! Thanks guys! You've been a great help!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Resistance, are you in the rough stage or the trim stage?

Generally, I've found 55" to be a sweet spot for wall mounted ovens, leaning to the far right of the oven space. I think the inspector was doing you a favor, if it wasn't close to that.

That was my comment if you're in the rough.

I really don't understand the two-box thing. I've only seen them come as a unit with one whip. If your appliance is on site, can you elaborate on that?

nvcape

If you know the make and model, you can probably look it up online and print it. The one we have is Kitchenade and set in the cabinetry. The manufacturer's published instructions are to set the box 3" maximum below the support shelf and pass the cord through a 1" hole. The unit is real heavy.

resistance

I'm in the rough-in stage, but the inspector happen to stop by the house to card us. While he was there, I asked him what he would recommend, but it puzzled me when he replied two boxes. I've seen them with one whip, but not two. I had one box mounted at 52", figuring the oven would land just forward of that box. But from what I've heard, the stack ovens have been problems when trying to locate the box in a good spot. I guess the inspector got what I was saying mixed up--I guess me telling him what the owner told me confused things.

[ December 27, 2004, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: resistance ]

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I'll add a second to what JimWalker posted.

I demand the oven make and model number. Then, if not already handed to me, I get the specs and verify the manufacturer's installation requirements.

A lot of the time the depth of the cabinetry will shove the oven right up flush to the wall. . .so, to me, there are too many variables to allow a general "They all go about xx inches above the rough floor."

hurk27

By nvcape: The manufacturer's published instructions are to set the box 3" maximum below the support shelf and pass the cord through a 1" hole. The unit is real heavy.
I would like to see the manufacture install and wire a box that winds up behind the thin drawers that get put under these ovens. :roll:

With that said:
I have found that if there is going to be a cabnet above the unit, stub out your 8/3 or 6/3 there in the lower right corner of this cabnet, then just have the FMC from the oven(s) stubed up into this cabnet when they set it. The oven can be installed and wired later without us haveing to be there, just use a deep 4"square with a blank cover. I have stubed into the basment before but that doesn't always work out.

I too will third Jim's and Al's responce as if it's a convection oven it might only need a 20 amp circuit. I have never seen a combo double oven or even a oven with a built in microwave require more than one circuit. I did have one double oven with a microwave that needed a seperate 120 volt receptacle but never two box's.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

Is there anything in the code that says the junction box has to be mounted or secured to a stud ? From my experience I usually cannot get specs for these ovens at the rough-in stage so I spend a few $$ more and run 6/3 RX so I'm covered. I've also found that the greenfield whip provided on these units is usually in the upper right hand corner and fits alongside a 3" x 3" channel down the right hand side. I usually connect this whip into a deep 4" box, make my connections, cut a hole in the sheetrock of the back wall big enough for the 4" square box to fit into and drop it down inside the wall as I slide the unit into place. Have I been doing this incorrectly or is this acceptable ?

The kitchen is always the LAST room I wire in new construction because the homeowners can never get me a kitchen plan on time. Mounting a box accurately is often not an option. There are usually fire stops in all 1st floor walls so getting the box in exactly the right place is difficult. For those of you getting or demanding appliance specs at time of rough-in - God bless you all. You must be working for guardian angels and they're all north, south and west of NJ because I haven't run across any yet !!!

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by goldstar:
I usually connect this whip into a deep 4" box, make my connections, cut a hole in the sheetrock of the back wall big enough for the 4" square box to fit into and drop it down inside the wall as I slide the unit into place. Have I been doing this incorrectly or is this acceptable ?
I'll spare you the eye-popping guy, cause I'd be tempted to do the same thing if I got too much grief from an appliance like these always are. See 314.20, 314.21, 314.22, and mostly 314.23.

I use 6/3 too and getting a 4 square with 6/3 in it to behave long enough to get secured to the wall warrants a cigarette with every installation. :)

luke warmwater

We either mount it behind the bottom drawer or in the upper cabinet.

It depends on the unit.

Don't forget a 1/2" (or 3/4") Greenfield connector. I've never seen an appliance come with it.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

And, as a statement in support of Murphy's Law:

Even with the factory installation information for the unit, the diagrams can be wrong.

I had a high end oven / miro double that was put in a custom kitchen designer's personal kitchen. The designer was very good and on top of her game. She had the manuals on site at rough. I put the j-box exactly where the oven manufacturer asked. The custom cabinet maker used the manufacturer's information for the depth of cabinet required, as did the designer. . .the oven and other counter / cabinet elements along that wall were all flush with each other (high design).

Came the day of the oven insert and hookup and low and behold, the manufacturer did not allow for the space taken by the flex whip on their own machine. The manufacturer claimed, on the phone that day, that the they made no error in claiming the minimum depth for the cabinet of 22" when the depth of the unit was also 22". They saw no difficulty with requiring the j-box to be in the middle of the wall where the back of the oven kisses the wall. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Have the cabinet guy drill a hole for your feeder in the upper cabinet (the drywall guy should have stubbed out your 8/3 or 6/3) and surface mount a 4-Square for the wire. The whip from the walloven will reach the J-Box in the right hand corner of the upper cabinet 99 out of 100 times. The 1 time it doesn't and needs to be mounted in the bottom drawer :mad: , bust out a bit of sheetrock and pull your wire down to where it needs to be. The wall oven will cover any nasty patch job that needs to be done in the sheetrock.

electricmanscott

Resistance, read the post above yours. This is the way I do it also and it is by far the easiest.

[ December 28, 2004, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: electricmanscott ]

Status
Not open for further replies.