Drains in Exterior Conduit Run

Status
Not open for further replies.

killer76

I have an application it is CL 1 Div 2 with several conduits that connect to j-boxes only Nema 4 X with distribution blocks, etc...

Are drains required in the vertical conduit drops, as in adding a tee with drain installed at the drops, I have seen both with and with out

Is this a code requirement or a matter of specific location

Thanks

drains

drains

Drains are a difficult one I found my self trying to find a given answer with little found. I can lend this advice. We all have encountered sealed box's that leak over time and conduits as well. The rule of thumb would be if you believe under the conditions this conduit is subject to or that do to atmospheric conditions condensation may form and accumulate in the conduit,it is advisable to install a drain in a location that will evacuate the conduit this could be in the vertical or horizontal run of the conduit. also if the drain is going to illuminate the possibility of water entering a apparatus certainly install a drain. I hope this helps Dennis S

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
The rules for drains are fairly simple - just hard to find because the Subsection title is a bit misleading. See 501.15(F)(1).

Status
Not open for further replies.