Drilling I-Beams and bar joists ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davebones

I hear people say it will weaken the structure .All the time I've been in the trade we were allowed unless it had a fireproofing sprayed on it . Our carpenter at work is questioning this . I wanted to see what other people had to say ...

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
The building codes have a limit as to the size of holes and the placement.
As far as I know there are no restrictions on standdard holes for mounting equipment.

btharmy

A powder actuated fastener would be much faster. Otherwise, what prevents you from just using beam clamps? Not being critical, just curious.

wireguru

I hear people say it will weaken the structure .All the time I've been in the trade we were allowed unless it had a fireproofing sprayed on it . Our carpenter at work is questioning this . I wanted to see what other people had to say ...

carpenter? Are you talking about drilling engineered I joists (wood), or steel I beams?

cadpoint

Can you drill metal I-beams ,bar joist's in a manufacturing plant to hang box's ,strap's etc .... Is there a code on this ?

carpenter? Are you talking about drilling engineered I joists (wood), or steel I beams?

Attention to the OP might help.. don't know... I've drilled (seems like a lot of work) beam clamped and stuck threaded rod between the joists, Tech5, shot a cap. Seems more like what the job spec's will let you do, as opposed to what one would like to do.

wireguru

Attention to the OP might help.. don't know... I've drilled (seems like a lot of work) beam clamped and stuck threaded rod between the joists, Tech5, shot a cap. Seems more like what the job spec's will let you do, as opposed to what one would like to do.

oops, thanks. 'carpenter' threw me off.

SG-1

Our facility has columns & you cannot wield or drill them. Only clamps are allowed. Wielding will make them brittle & drilling holes weakens them, or so say the wise. We also have four 15 ton crains rolling across the top of ours.

In the past I have seen everything including EMT wielded to them.

Not any more.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Our facility has columns & you cannot wield or drill them. Only clamps are allowed. Wielding will make them brittle & drilling holes weakens them, or so say the wise. We also have four 15 ton crains rolling across the top of ours.

In the past I have seen everything including EMT wielded to them.

Not any more.

Welding brackets and other types of support to structural steel use to be a standard practice in all of the high-end industrial jobs I've worked (power plants, steel mills & foundaries, refineries, etc.), but many have gotten away from that practice nowadays, requiring clamps and other "non-invasive" attachment methods. There doesn't seem to be much in the way of factual events backing up the change. I believe it is more of a myth created by structural engineers ;)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I simply ask the customer to have a structural engineer or Architect approve what we intend to do and after this we're covered.

Roger

mpd

I simply ask the customer to have a structural engineer or Architect approve what we intend to do and after this we're covered.

Roger

i agree, it is always best to get the design prof. involved, that signed & sealed letter takes you off the hook

Status
Not open for further replies.