Drip irrigation line in lighting pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
A question was directed to me on the installation of a drip irrigation line (for watering hanging baskets) in a lighting pole. We both argreed that 410.30 (a pole is considered a racway) and 300.8 Installation of Conductors with Other Systems.
Raceways or cable trays containing electrical conductors shall not contain any pipe, tube, or equal for steam, water, air, gas, drainage, or any service other than electrical.
Would not allow this.
However the end user proposed using carflex to sleeve the irrigation line in, similar to whats done with low voltage.

Comments?

eprice

725.136 is one section that prohibits low voltage being installed in the same raceway as higher voltage conductors, but I think the use of carflex to enclose the low voltage conductors is allowed by Subsections (B) and (C) of that section. 300.8 has no such exceptions to allow the irrigation line in carflex. I suppose an AHJ could allow it by 90.4 special permission if they feel that equivalent objectives are achieved.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
725.136 is one section that prohibits low voltage being installed in the same raceway as higher voltage conductors, but I think the use of carflex to enclose the low voltage conductors is allowed by Subsections (B) and (C) of that section. 300.8 has no such exceptions to allow the irrigation line in carflex. I suppose an AHJ could allow it by 90.4 special permission if they feel that equivalent objectives are achieved.

What if, instead, you choose to sleeve the power wires? Do you now have a suitable raceway inside the lamp post for power with an adjacent water line?

Volta

What if, instead, you choose to sleeve the power wires? Do you now have a suitable raceway inside the lamp post for power with an adjacent water line?

That would help, but:
1. The pole may still be considered a raceway by some, and 300.8 would still apply (we could probably pay UL to do a field test, and try to void the listing of the pole as a raceway); and
2. The new small raceway (LNFC or similar) needs to be installed fully as a raceway, which may be impracticable in a pole not designed for such. Otherwise it is just a sleeve.

OTT2

A question was directed to me on the installation of a drip irrigation line (for watering hanging baskets) in a lighting pole. We both argreed that 410.30 (a pole is considered a racway) and 300.8 Installation of Conductors with Other Systems.
Raceways or cable trays containing electrical conductors shall not contain any pipe, tube, or equal for steam, water, air, gas, drainage, or any service other than electrical.
Would not allow this.
However the end user proposed using carflex to sleeve the irrigation line in, similar to whats done with low voltage.

Comments?

I have encountered the same dilemma. My position was exactly the same as yours, sitting the same code references etc.

HOWEVER - I spoke with the State's Chief Electrical Inspector and could tell this was a fight they were not willing to partake. You know if you can't get someone to back you it may not be worth the effort in SOME circumstances. Their take on this was that the pole was not a listed raceway. Perhaps that's true, 410.30(B) PERMITS the pole to be USED as a raceway to enclose supply conductors etc.

I didn't like the decision but ended up allowing this IF the drip piping was totally enclosed (sleeved) within another piping system and entered and exited without a break in the water piping!!!

Long story short, there are planters on the light poles with drip irrigation!!

Status
Not open for further replies.