Driveway LED lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

I have a project I'm bidding on that needs a flood light on the side of their brick wall approx. 15 ft. up to shine on their driveway. I'm thinking of an LED fixture so the owner will not have to get up that high or higher to change bulbs. I just done a job approx. the same, though not a residential setting, using a 50 watt LED and I wasn't satisfied with it, though the owner seemed to be, but did say it could be brighter. I'm thinking at least a 70 watt LED with about 3000K or less brightness. Don't want it too bright so as to blind them as they come up their driveway. I need it to be "knuckle" mounted on a 4" round cover for a weatherproof box. I've looked on the net til I'm exhausted. Any ideas? Thanks

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
RAB ,is a company I have used before that has good tech support, give them a call. Or your local wholesale may have a lighting expert. Also note wattage doesn't mean much when specing LEDs you want to look at lumens, color temp and efficacy or lumens per watt.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree check out RAB also. They're a local company so they have a big presence around here and the products are very good.

PaulMmn

Occupation
EIT - Engineer in Training, Lafayette College
"Don't want it too bright so as to blind them as they come up their driveway."

Ideally, you'd use 'marker' lights alongside the driveway as guides, and a separate floodlight mounted on the house to illuminate the driveway (but separately controlled). You'd use the floodlight to spot the invaders coming up the drive, and the markers for routine travel.

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
I'm thinking at least a 70 watt LED with about 3000K or less brightness.
I'm sure I may get some disagreements but that's ok, The lumens is the brightness to be concerned with while the color is the kelvin like 3000K - 5000K so on and so forth. Technically a 1000 Lumen 3000K light is the same brightness as a 1000 Lumen 5000k light the only difference is the color tone, 3000K is softer wheras the 5000K is harsh, both are the same brightness or candle power but the eye reacts to the colors differently.

Status
Not open for further replies.