Drop ceiling- paddle fan installation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw_ross

I'm trying to figure out the best way to install a paddle fan in a drop ceiling?
Obviously I want to use a fan rated box. I'm not sure how best to support the box and keep the fan from wobbling?

Thanks!

electricalist

Those are tricky.
I have used all thread down to the fan rated light box and the balancing kit that comes with it to stop the wobbling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

growler

I'm trying to figure out the best way to install a paddle fan in a drop ceiling?
Obviously I want to use a fan rated box. I'm not sure how best to support the box and keep the fan from wobbling?

Thanks!

I use all-thread for support (noramlly 2 ea. of 3/8ths.). But to keep out most of the wobbling I use a box hanger that clips to each side of the grid. If you can't find one you can always use a crap piece to track (metal framming) to go from side to side of the grid and drill hole for the all-tread. This will keep the box from wallowing out the hole. You still need to balance the fan.

kwired

Electron manager
Does that mean the ceiling grid holds the weight of the fan or are there additional supports needed?

If grid is not allowed to support the fan, then add support wires directly to whatever you put in there. You still need to fasten whatever you put in to the grid just to help stabilize things, but let support wires handle the weight.

electricalist

How do we know when the grid is allowed to support something and when it is not.
Is that a AHJ call , a building code or NEC.

kwired

Electron manager
How do we know when the grid is allowed to support something and when it is not.
Is that a AHJ call , a building code or NEC.

Building code I would assume. How it is enforced may vary from place to place. Different ratings of the ceiling can also change rules AFAIK.

Some places a 2x4 troffer needs a support wire at each corner of the troffer for the troffer, some places the ceiling can support it as long as ceiling is supported at proper intervals.

Today's "standard troffer" with prismatic lens, is not very heavy compared to 40 years ago, yet they seem to need more support:?

electricalist

Building code I would assume. How it is enforced may vary from place to place. Different ratings of the ceiling can also change rules AFAIK.

Some places a 2x4 troffer needs a support wire at each corner of the troffer for the troffer, some places the ceiling can support it as long as ceiling is supported at proper intervals.

Today's "standard troffer" with prismatic lens, is not very heavy compared to 40 years ago, yet they seem to need more support:?

A screw on each end , hurricane clips, ceiling wire at each end with paint on them. Lol.
Who needs a ceiling after all that

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Two feet of unistrut set resting on top of the ceiling tile with two all-thread supports to deck/bar joists. Pancake fan rated box attached to unistrut through a nice round hole in tile. Ceiling tile keeps it from wobbling.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If there are joists above the dropped ceiling I have used 2x4s to make a mount/support.
Just make a 3-sided box with two of the sides screwed into the joist. The bottom side is to mount the fan box to. Just measure down to the tile and account for the height of the box so it will be flush with the tile after the hole is cut in the tile.
The good thing about this method is you go ahead and cut the hole for the box in the tile, then position the 2x4s so the bottom one will be over the hole, then screw the sides to the joists. You can then just screw the box into the bottom 2x4. Never had one wobble.

There are also (as mentioned) products for that that sit on the grid and there is either a cable or chain that runs up to the structured ceiling. They are good products but expensive.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
If there are joists above the dropped ceiling I have used 2x4s to make a mount/support.
Just make a 3-sided box with two of the sides screwed into the joist. The bottom side is to mount the fan box to. Just measure down to the tile and account for the height of the box so it will be flush with the tile after the hole is cut in the tile.
The good thing about this method is you go ahead and cut the hole for the box in the tile, then position the 2x4s so the bottom one will be over the hole, then screw the sides to the joists. You can then just screw the box into the bottom 2x4. Never had one wobble.

There are also (as mentioned) products for that that sit on the grid and there is either a cable or chain that runs up to the structured ceiling. They are good products but expensive.

I do the same with the 2x4 structure.:thumbsup:
Works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.