Drum Storage Electrical Classification

Status
Not open for further replies.

alan232

We are designing for a drum storage building (to store Class 1B liquids) that will be constructed adjacent to an existing drum storage warehouse (also storing Class 1B liquids and designed to Class I Div II).

The liquids are to be stored only (no liquid transfer within the building) in drums. We designed the new building to be Class I Div II based on NEC 515.3 (and NFPA 30 Table 7.3.3), which states that the classification is to be ordinary unless there is an opening to the adjacent building. There will be an opening to the adjacent building. The client also preferred Class I Div II.

The problem is that we have now been told that there is a small area in between the openings to the two buildings that has a battery charger (and some lighting) and is general purpose.

We are trying to determine if we need to recommend that they upgrade the general purpose area to Class I Div II, or if installing a door in the opening of the new building will allow us to keep the small area general purpose.

My confusion comes in at what is considered an "opening". Will a door allow us to keep that area general purpose?

Status
Not open for further replies.