Dry -vs- Oil Filled Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

jam

Can someone give me the quick pro's & con's to outdoor (shoreline/salt air) dry -vs- oil filled transformers in the 75-500 kVa range.

Thanks.

jam

Re: Dry -vs- Oil Filled Transformers

bennie:

My company manufacturers filter cartridges for a wide variety of applications, however my question has nothing to do with this.

My associate is involved in real estate and is looking into purchasing a yatch club. I am looking into the cost and general layout of a new electrical system.

I misstated the HV, its 13,200V.

Thanks.

jcormack

Oil-filled Pros:

Quieter, can be loaded heavier (more efficient cooling), can withstand higher SC currents (typically), weather & atmosphere immune, can have a higher BIL -vs- dry.

Oil-filled cons.

Oil spill near marina bad, heavier, requires periodic tests of oil, more expensive, may require oil containment, oil is fire hazard, bio-degradable or high-flash oils more expensive.

Dry can be purchased as "encapsulated" (not as good if you are going to "Push" them KVA wise)
or with special VPI varnishes for severe duty.

Either will work if specs are correct.

templdl

If oil is not an issue, oil filled transformers are less expensive as I recall. Remember that there are flammable, nonflammable, and flame resistant type oils to choose from. If being flammable is not a problem this would be the least expensive way to go. The type of liquid also can affect the size of the transformer in some cases. The liquid not only acts as a means to transfer heat from the core and coil to the case of the transformer and/or radiators to dissipate heat but also as and insulator or dielectric and must be kept from being contaminated.

Status
Not open for further replies.