drywall repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

rich000

How do you charge for drywall repair?

After cutting holes for fishing wire for new circuits, who repairs the drywall?

Do you guys (electricians) do the mudding or sub it out?

It would take a couple of trips to get it right, and sometimes it's not worth it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

rickcham

Re: drywall repair

rich000

A good electrician will do his best to limit the holes he needs to make to install the wiring, I know for myself that I repair all my holes I have to make for fishing wires.

tshephard

When I do that type of work, I always say sheetrock replaced and 1st pass with mud, as they do here in VA with a garage. That what I'm not responsible for 3 passes to make it look good, but the fire rating is maintained. I do believe I am responsible for the fire rating if I breach it, without a general contractor to fix the breaches.

definitive

I sub it out. Sheetrock repair, in my opinion, is something that should be professionally done. A pro can do a better job than I can, so I think my customers deserve that.

jro

I agree with definitive, either include the drywall repair in the contract as a sub contract price, or make the customer aware that he will be responsible for any drywall repair before the work begins, you don't want to be responsible for any tape & bed & texture job you are not familiar with. :)

nathan

I agree with the the last two I will only sell what I can promise proffesional results..letting the customer know this upfront helps and then you can decide there who has to do all the subbing out.

jrdsg

agreed. what is important is that the customer knows ahead of time who is responsible for what. the firestopping situation, however, must be addressed, even on a temporary basis, before you leave.

tshephard

Thanks, jrdsg.
I think I cannot leave without the fire protection being what it was when I arrived.
Also, the low skill; high repeat nature of sheetrock tape and mud leads to an owner solution.

-marty

Many good points. I let the homeowner worry with it. Most homeowner also don't want to pay my fee for clean up either. Course, I get the big stuff. Cardboard boxes and wood chips I leave. As for sheetrocking - not me, just more stuff to carry in my warehouse on wheels.

Status
Not open for further replies.