Dual 200amp service for duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

mwilson44

Occupation
Electrician
I have a job I am bidding for that is a two family dwelling and the owner wants a 3 gang meter socket to seperate the 2 units and to also have a house panel. I've calculated the total connected load of each unit to be 94 amps, and the house panel will have a minimal load of about 10 amps for general lighting and receptacles. The owner also wants to have room for electric car chargers, and mini splits to be added in the future which would be bring their service load over 200 amps.

The only service equipment that I can find larger than 200 amp is 400 amp, so I am planning on giving them two 200 amp panels for the apartments.

My main question is, would running parallel 250kcmil aluminum conductors suffice for the service conductors feeding the meter bank?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Your serviced conductors would need to be sized to carry the calculated load.
In this case it appears tne parallel 250AL would be more than sufficient.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I've calculated the total connected load of each unit to be 94 amps, and the house panel will have a minimal load of about 10 amps for general lighting and receptacles.
For the service entrance conductors did you run a 220.40 general calc or a 220.85 'two dwelling unit' calc?

Status
Not open for further replies.