Dual led dimmer switch???? Do they exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onlyincali

I'm short on space due to structural issues. I'm looking for a switch that can dim two led ceiling fixtures separately. Is anyone aware of one that is led compatible?

Thanks in advance

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I can only offer this advise,
Myself have never used a dual dimmer probably because I didn't really know they existed. Well maybe I did see one once at Lowes or something but yet to have had a need for one.

Anyhow, it would seem to me that since many LED bulbs in there instructions say that they're compatable with most dimmers then even if the dual dimmers aren't cl type they should work.

Try it and let us know!
I don't think you will have any catastrophic failure if you did. They will just act funny.

cpinetree

Lutron Maestro makes a non cl dimmer (Model# MA‑L3L3) it is rated 300w per dimmer with no fins broken. You may be able to add a load resistor?
Try Lutron's tech support they are very helpful 1-888-LUTRON1

Another option would be to use Lutron pico's on the wall and put the dimmer / receiver in a hidden area (closet maybe?)
The Pico's do not require any wiring so maybe you could stack two of them?

kwired

Electron manager
Not saying such a device can't be made but would likely be rare enough it would be cost prohibitive compared to single devices.

With incandescent dimmers being the popular item for many years - they needed some physical size for heat sink purposes and a dual device for incandescent would not be all that practical in a one gang format.

JFletcher

I do not know of any single gang dual LED rated dimmers. As previously mentioned, you may be able to get away with using a standard dimmer.

If you have a multiple gang box and cant add another gang due to framing, you may be able to double up other lighting circuits onto one switch or use an over/under on non-dimmed circuits.

Not saying such a device can't be made but would likely be rare enough it would be cost prohibitive compared to single devices.

With incandescent dimmers being the popular item for many years - they needed some physical size for heat sink purposes and a dual device for incandescent would not be all that practical in a one gang format.

They do make dual dimmers on one yoke but afaict none are rated for LED/Fluorescent. Most have a correspondingly halved maximum wattage/circuit (300W vs 600W).

kwired

Electron manager
I do not know of any single gang dual LED rated dimmers. As previously mentioned, you may be able to get away with using a standard dimmer.

If you have a multiple gang box and cant add another gang due to framing, you may be able to double up other lighting circuits onto one switch or use an over/under on non-dimmed circuits.

They do make dual dimmers on one yoke but afaict none are rated for LED/Fluorescent. Most have a correspondingly halved maximum wattage/circuit (300W vs 600W).
They have made fan/light controls for a long time on one yoke for a typical "paddle type" ceiling fan. But how often do you see a fan rated more then about an amp, and light kit rated more then 300 watts?

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I'm short on space due to structural issues. I'm looking for a switch that can dim two led ceiling fixtures separately. Is anyone aware of one that is led compatible?

Thanks in advance

Yes they are available, Lutron has them but I haven't seen LED listed but that doesn't mean that they may not be compatable.

Electric-Light

dual dimmer he's talking about is a decora type with two sliders that look like a full size slider split in two and gives you independent dimmed circuits.
I have both a regular and C-L Credenza cord dimmer for testing purposes.

To save yourself time, do the testing on bench whenever possible.
If they get along, they work as you would want them to. Some works
if not, you might see it right away. Crazy flashing or output jumping around noticeably
If it's slightly incompatible, you might see flicker every couple minutes or only in a certain spot, or when something else is powered on/off in the house, such as the fridge kicking off.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
dual dimmer he's talking about is a decora type with two sliders that look like a full size slider split in two and gives you independent dimmed circuits.
I have both a regular and C-L Credenza cord dimmer for testing purposes.

To save yourself time, do the testing on bench whenever possible.
If they get along, they work as you would want them to. Some works
if not, you might see it right away. Crazy flashing or output jumping around noticeably
If it's slightly incompatible, you might see flicker every couple minutes or only in a certain spot, or when something else is powered on/off in the house, such as the fridge kicking off.

Yeah, good plan. I've found about half of the supposedly dimmable LED lamps I've bought don't like some types of dimmers.

bewing

nLight

nLight

Go low voltage. If you purchase an nLight 2-channel on/off dimming wallpod, you can connect two compatible relays that will switch two separate lights. The switch and two relays are connected with Cat5E. The relays receive 120V and have 0-10V connections. If you need phase dimming, they have ELV or foward/reverse dimming packs available as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.