Dual meter, Main breaker only service panel. Can solar connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zee

I would like to tie solar into the following service panel. See photos.
I don't think I can.
There seems to be space to the right and left of the 2 service breakers, but I think it is for other service breakers....if that. (I did not have time to open up the panel and see the busing)

1. Any way to tie in the solar?
(get a PV breaker in here and still be on the load side of the meter?)
(This reminds of three-meter service panels. In that case, the breaker space provided is for a breaker for a third meter, with a single space required to be open between the three breakers. Hence the 8 spaces.)

2. Alternatively, could I install a (N) sub panel?
It would be rated 125A,
feed it from the (E) 2p100A service breaker,
put my (N) 2p40A PV breaker in the s.p., (opposite feed of course)
and snap in a 2p100A breaker to continue to feed the old (E) s.p. inside?

Will the 2p40A PV breaker be Code compliant vis a vis the main service panel (120% rule)?
(I used to think not as it is 40 added to the 100....but it isnt "distribution" and i'm not connecting there in the MSP.)

3. Is the MSP rated 100 or 200? It has 2@ 2p100 brkrs. reduced.jpg reduced2.jpg

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I usually do the new subpanel thing. You could also look at a load side tap. I assume you've already determined that you'd rather not connect to whatever subpanel that breaker is feeding.

To be clear, you're not going to find a legit way to connect elsewhere in the meter bank, in my experience.

Zee

I usually do the new subpanel thing. You could also look at a load side tap. I assume you've already determined that you'd rather not connect to whatever subpanel that breaker is feeding.

To be clear, you're not going to find a legit way to connect elsewhere in the meter bank, in my experience.

Thank you.

Correct, s.p. is all "twin breakered" out. (full)

Will the 2p40 PV breaker in the new 125A s.p. be allowable if the main breaker feeding the s.p. remains 100A?

Zee

new s.p. solution probably much preferable in general .....and here esepcially as new service would entail new DUAL service for both units......

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Thank you.

Will the 2p40 PV breaker in the new 125A s.p. be allowable if the main breaker feeding the s.p. remains 100A?

It depends on which NEC 705.12 subsection you are using to qualify the sub panel bus. The breaker feeding the sub may or may not be a factor.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Thank you.

You could probably install a smaller sub (40A feed) to that sub and relocate two circuits to it. Unless that location is otherwise less convenient.

Yes. But it is critical that you use a 125A and not a 100A rated sub in this situation, and put the 40A PV breaker at the opposite end of the feed.

Zee

......use a 125A and not a 100A rated sub...........

Agreed. Good point!

I just want to be sure vis a vis my (N) 2p40A PV breaker and MSP.

I know I am Code compliant with 100A main breaker and 40A PV breaker PV feeding my (N) 125A rated sp.
The confirmation is always appreciated though!:D

Zee

You could probably install a smaller sub (40A feed) to that sub and relocate two circuits to it. Unless that location is otherwise less convenient.

That could be a good solution, if it were closer.

In this case, MSP is surface mount, and right where i need it, so I'll feed my new sub off of that more easily.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.