Dual Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

MEBryan

Hi, I'm in the process of building a new home. I want to build an attached garage this fall and the main house next spring. The meter base(400A) will be attached to the garage on the common wall with the house. I would like to place one 200A panelboards inside the garage within 6 feet or so of the meter base. The other 200A panel I would like to place in the basement of the house approximately 20' from the meter base. The power company feeds are underground. I plan to run 3" PVC from the meter base to both panelboards. The conduit for the long 20' run will be frimly attached to the exterior of the basement foundation. The panelboard will be connected at the point the conduit enters the basement. My question is: Does this meet the code requirements? I've read NEC 230. I believe it is leagl but I don't understand what grouping of disconnects means. Am I required to put a 200A fused disconnect inside the garage next to the first 200 panelboard to feed the second panel in the basement? Thanks in Advace, Mac.

bphgravity

I would advise that you hire a licensed and insured electrical contractor to perform the work. Are you licensed as a design professional under the scope of this type of work?

allenwayne

Once you enter the meter base the length of unfused conductors is what ever the AHJ says is ok to run.Why not just set the meter base and the 1st 200 amp mbr panel and use a 200 amp fused/breaker disconnect and feed the 2nd panel.After the disconnect the 2nd panels feed is a branch 4 wire circuit.So as long as it is either protected from physical damage or not accesible the length is only controled by voltage drop and 20 ft doesn`t even come into the picture of voltage drop.
BTW what is an electrical research engineer anyway ???????

MEBryan

Allen Thanks for the input. I work at a small nuclear reactor and am responsible for all the instrumentation and control systems in the facility. Thanks Mac

iwire

Staff member
MEBryan said:
Allen Thanks for the input. I work at a small nuclear reactor and am responsible for all the instrumentation and control systems in the facility. Thanks Mac

There is more to it than Allen's answer.

As you noticed the disconnecting means must be grouped.

Having one disconnect in the garage and one in the basement is certainly not grouped.

Given your description you will need two 200 amp over current devices at the meter.

Is there a reason you would not want someone more experienced in home services doing the work?

For example this is not a 'dual' service it is a single service that will have two disconnecting means.

It may sound like a minor point but using the wrong terminology when asking a question will lead to the wrong answer.

Last edited:
I'm totally confused if meter is on common wall (or shared wall) it will be inside the garage or inside the house? (I guess you mean extended or adjacent wall?)

Dual services (means 2 meters) and is usually not allowed for single family residence.
Dual mains mains must be grouped so at very least you'd need a 200A disconnect by the 200A MBR in the garage if AHJ will allow it.

How big and what is in this house or garage that warrants a 400A service?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.