Dusty Stator Is Crying Out For A Bath

Status
Not open for further replies.

EES

I recently purchased a 1960's era, US Motors, R-1337-03 (170), 9 Lead, 15HP, 230/460, WYE Start/Delta Run, 3-Phase, Induction, Motor. The motor ran strong but the sound of the bearings gave me visions of the tin man after he finished auditioning for Singing In The Rain. A few YouTube videos later, feeling I could handle it, I made an online purchase for a fresh set of bearings. The motor was an oily mess and after disassembly I see the markings or should I say gouges in the outer bearing retention cap. Looks like a bearing once completely failed, leaving scrapped metal as a reminder of what can happen when using poorly maintained equipment. As I worked hard to clean the motor of foreign matter on the outside a few drops of sweat hit the barely recognizable, filthy, fuzzy, grey, stator and made a tiny clean spot. Oh ho, what do I see but a Bake-O-Light, Brown color insulation on the wire leads?

As my plans are to paint the outside of this motor I have disassembled it and already removed the name plate in preparation for new paint. As I walk past the motor in my garage, it is calling out to me, to run some gentle water over the nasty looking winding's. I want to clean the stator. I want to do this badly! I can envision how nice it would be to be as clean on the inside as its new paint has it on the outside. It is very hard to control myself. At least if I can hold off until I hear from from others that may have done this. I am nervous to ruin the winding's. I'm afraid that I could wash away insulation or force debris into the winding where vibration could cause the debris to do the type of damage that will bring a tool to its end. Because I am aware of this I am especially interested in successful stator cleaning stories. If you have one, some encouragement or another idea, please let me know. Thanx!

Eric

Attachments

• IMG_1559.jpg
    IMG_1559.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1557.jpg
    IMG_1557.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1555.jpg
    IMG_1555.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 0
  • US-Electrical-Motors-Name-P.jpg
    US-Electrical-Motors-Name-P.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 0

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

A reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.