DUTY CYCLES

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizzie14

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN WHAT DUTY CYCLES HAVE TO DO WITH GENERATORS? AND DOES IT MATTER IF YOUR FREQUENCY IS 50HZ OR 60HZ? DOES IT CHANGE YOUR DUTY CYCLE?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: DUTY CYCLES

duty cycle refers to how much a unit is allowed to be running versus not running. it does not have anything to do with the frequency, although I suppose the allowed duty cycle could be different at different frequencys.

highkvoltage

10% duty cycles allows you to weld 6 minutes out of every hour. 20% 12 minutes, 30% 18 minutes, 50% 30 minutes, etc.

stud696981

The Hz is hertz........the number of times the AC power goes in one direction and back in the other. Ex...60hz equals 120 changes in direction.

For American power you NEED 60Hz. 50Hz is used over seas.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Please turn off the ALL CAPS feature. It makes the post more difficult to read. It is also considered impolite, as though you were SHOUTING at us.

As to "duty cycles," can you give us the context in which you came across this phrase? A generator is generally happiest when it is running all the time, not stopping and starting.

physis

It matters quite a bit whether the generator is 50 or 60 Hz.

Some loads can operate on either but most can't. If you aren't specifically looking to drive a 50 Hz. load then it doesn't make any sense to use a 50 Hz. generator in the US.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I think the question is more along the lines of, "If I operate a generator at 60 hertz (since I am now in the US), instead of 50 hertz (cause I bought the generator in England), would that alter the way I must operate the generator, in terms of its duty cycles?"

Suppose, as an example, that the manufacturer tells me that for every hour of operation, I must give it a cool down period of 15 minutes between shutdown and restart. Would a change from 50 Hz to 60 Hz cause me to have to cool it down for 20 minutes, or perhaps for only 10 minutes?

I don't know if I have reworded the question correctly. More to the point, I don't know its answer. I'm still waiting for Lizzie to clarify the question.

rsvetti

Psst. Where's Lizzy, Charlie has a good question here.

As it turns out, I'm dealing now with a 3 phase motor that keeps dropping the high leg of the delta at the OCPD. (It happens to be rated at 50 Hz). Maybe just a bad breaker?

-RSvetti

P.S. Hey all!

Status
Not open for further replies.