Duty of electrician

150jims

Occupation
retired
Hi, we're a 14 unit strata in BC. New regulations call for us to have An ‘Electrical Planning Report' done by the end of 2026. It apparently is to give a factual basis for us to proceed with EV charging infrastructure installations if unit holders request them.
My concern is that our electrical shed is in poor condition, and certainly not up to code, fiber optic cable installers apparently characterised it as a disaster several years ago.
I suppose the qualified professional who must be retained to inspect our facilities, and write the report, would draw our council's attention to the possible hazard, but would they also be required to alert some regulatory body?
thanks, 150jims

greco

Hello 150, I can't help you with your question but I will give you my advise. Get your electrical system updated. You have been told it is a disaster and have decided not to fix it, I will wager that will not look good to the authorities should the disaster happen. Also, getting it done before a disaster you can shop for pricing, coordination of work , ect. Just my 2cents
Greco

150jims

Occupation
retired
I'm sure you're right Greco, but like a lot of ageing strata buildings in BC, our maintenance often only gets done when it jumps up and grabs us.
I was thinking that something possibly involving regulators and deadlines to fix, might be just the motivation we need. Hopefully someone from BC will have an answer, or a way to find out without identifying us.
Thanks for your input. Just out of curiosity, do you know what would be required of an electrician in Colorado?