DVD player function ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjc

DVD player function ?

Hi guys ,
I'm posting this question here , because of not knowing where else on this site to post.

We would like to watch DVD's in another room from a DVD player thats in the Great room. My thought is to T-tap about 40 foot of wire from the DVD in the Great room though the basement to the TV in the other room. Does anyone know if this will work? I'd like to get a little info before starting a project.

Thanks --- Mike :eek:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: DVD player function ?

My thought is to T-tap...

DVD players have a few output options, what will you be using? Whatever it is you can't just "T-tap" the outputs especially with 40 feet of cable.

You need to use a distribution amplifier. If you intend to use baseband video and audio you need something like THIS .

I would recommend the S-video output in which case you would need THIS . I believe you can use cat5 or even cat3 UTP for the 40 feet. I know Leviton makes S-video quick port jacks that punch down just like the usual RJ voice and data jacks and fit their wall plates and surface housings. Use factory made cables with connectors as patch cords to go between the DA, jacks and components.

That aside, you can get a good DVD player for around $60. That's got to be a lot less than the cost of running the wire alone.

-Hal

hurk27

By Hal: I believe you can use cat5 or even cat3 UTP for the 40 feet
HuH?

Baseband video and audio need to be a shielded cable not twisted pair?

Use any RG59U coax and install RCA type male plugs on each end then use a simple amplifier/switch to control where the signal goes.

I have run up to 200' of the 59U in clubs many times with no problems.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Baseband video and audio need to be a shielded cable not twisted pair?

Not anymore. A lot of stuff is putting video and audio on twisted pair these days.

As for the S-video connection, I have never gone beyond pre-made cables to connect a DVD player with a TV so this is new to me. Because I see Leviton offers S-video jack inserts that are made to be used with UTP I assumed that this is what S-video can support.

Rather than give bad advice based on assumptions I did some research and it looks like an S-video cable is two coax's under one jacket so I don't know what the deal is with the Leviton jacks. There are "adaptors" that will allow you to run S-video on UTP so that would indicate right there that you cannot use UTP directly for S-video. These "adaptors" have the usual RJ-45 jacks for the UTP.

I read the original question to mean that he wanted to distribute the DVD output to both sets at the same time. Yes, you could bridge the audio out on the DVD player and connect it to the audio inputs on both sets, I would want to use as low a capacitance cable as practical for the 40 foot run since it is a high impedance unbalanced line. As you say, a piece of RG-59 with RCA's on each end is good.

Video is another story. I don't believe consumer gear can be bridged in the same manner. That is why I suggested a DA amp to take the output of the DVD player and send it to the two inputs. Certainly you would use 75 ohm RG-59 here.

If you want better quality the S-video route is the way to go and you will need the S-video DA. You will also have to deal with the audio separately.

-Hal

mjc

Hi Guys ,

Thought it was easier than what it really is.
I guess just buying another DVD player is the way to go. :) Romeo, Michigan

hbiss

Occupation
EC

Rather than give bad advice based on assumptions I did some research and it looks like an S-video cable is two coax's under one jacket so I don't know what the deal is with the Leviton jacks.

Ok, from their web site here IS the deal with the Leviton S-video jacks- seems I was right but I'm still confused.

This unique S-Video connector features a QuickPort S-Video connection on the front, and 110-style IDC punchdowns on the rear, allowing you to connect your video system via high-speed, high-quality Category 5, 5e, or 6 UTP cable networks. Reusable connector with IDC punchdown make adds moves and changes simple and cost effective.

Perfect for classroom or conference room, and a cost-effective alternative to routing S-Video cabling. The Leviton S-Video Connector is part of the QuickPort family of Connectors, and is compatible with all Leviton QuickPort wallplates, MOS plates and wallboxes.

This looks way to small to contain two baluns, how do they do it?

This is very interesting because I actually did have a customer ask me the other day about installing S-video jacks.

-Hal

templdl

Mike,
Since a DVD only has video and audio out and no RF channel 3/4 output I had to purchase a device which takes the audio/video line level output of the DVD and converts them to an RF signal for transmission over my cable.
So, my cable into my home goes up to this RF box then to my VCR, back down to splitters in my basement to distribute to the various TVs. I sued amplified splitters to maintain the signal level.
When the DVD is off the cable TV signal passes through it to the VCR. Unless the VCR is being used to view a tape the cable signal passes through it also. You can record from cable as you would normally or even duplicate a DVD should you play a DVD. Play the VCR and it is transmitted to all TVs in the system. Play the DVD, it automatically activates the converter which transmits the DVD's program to the VCR through the distribution system.
I've also have been considering going wireless in that there are products available where you can input the audio/video signal into a device, it transmits it with a 2.5ghz signal to a receiver in another part of the home that has a matching receiver which has a audio/video output which is input into a remote TV which may the right for application.
There can be so many option depending upon if the cable is convenient to use, where and home the cable is routed, spitters required, etc, if audio/video inputs and outputs are available, going wireless, etc.

hbiss

Occupation
EC

The problem with distributing the DVD output on an RF channel through a modulator is that you lose the enhanced picture and sound that a DVD is meant to provide. That's the reason that there is no RF output on the DVD player to begin with.

Besides that, any distribution system using that method is obsolete or soon will be because it can't handle HD.

-Hal

dereckbc

Staff member

Hal beat me to the punch. Using a RF modulator defeats the purpose of the DVD. However if you are using component video I/O, I cannot think of any reason of why you cannot use cables upto 100-feet. Personally I make my own.

templdl

Yes,I agree that RF is old school stuff and digital blows it away. But everything is relative as far as picture quality and the ease of which you can retain that picture quality with a distribution system that is somewhat versatile and convenient to install. Good ol' 75ohm RG59 is a convenient solution. I have (9) TV's I distribute to in my home. Hve considered satellite or digital cable but would need 4 receivers to get close to the versatility that I have now plus the additional cost of programming.
With digital cable and satellite, and HD TV, the TV tuner is useless. Every TV must have it's own HD tuner or digital cable/satellite tuner if it's not built in and it is common not to have one. If you have only one receiver then you have to figure out how to share to as you would the DVD player. It's kind of takes you back to the time when TVs weren't ever cable ready where you needed a separate cable box for each TV.
If picture quality is a big issue I agree with Hal to just buy another DVD player. Decent ones are now available for less than $100.

Status
Not open for further replies.