Dwelling Load Calculation 220.40 VS 220.83

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
I am looking to see if I can install a new Washer and Dryer in a existing apartment. The washer and dryer is 12 and 13 amps respectively.
The apartment is 1000 sq ft, with Gas Range (100W), No Hot Water Heater (Building Provides it). 3 Window Units (500W each). I used the minimum of 2 - 1500W for small appliances.

The existing service is 40 AMP 120/208V/Single Phase.

If I use 220.83 I get 48 AMPS.
If I use 220.40, I get 44 AMPS.
See attach, my work

I was wondering if I calculated the load correctly for 220.40 since I used the example in Appendix D1(a).

Are they are ways to calculate the additional load to reduce the load down further.

Also if a 40 AMP/Single Phase breaker was installed, does that mean you can load it up to only 80% of the load or can you considered it at 100%. Not sure if there is a code section I can look this information up.

Attachments

• 220.40 Example.pdf
    31.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 220.83 Example.pdf
    30.5 KB · Views: 8

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
For the calculation based on 220.40, I followed the calculation on Appendix D1(a). They had a laundry circuit and then the took the demand factor and than added the Dryer Load at the bottom.

Hence why I seperated the load for the washer and dryer.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The laundry is at 1500...
The dryer is the namplate since it is gas- I presume.

Are there 2 laundry cir. and dryers?

If not I get 32 amp load-- that is no appliance except refrigerator which is incl. in the small appliance branch circuit.

No heat etc

BatmanisWatching1987

Occupation
Jr. EE
The washer and dryer are both electric

The washer and dryer is 12 and 13 amps 208V respectively.

For the small appliance branch circuit, I shown a minimum of 2 circuits. So you can assume the refrigerator is apart of it

Status
Not open for further replies.