E stop

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
"Design of air handling and ventilation systems must incorporate engineering controls to prevent intrusion of hazardous airborne contaminant (i.e. shut-off system, detection devices, and control air circulation and purging of contaminant from the building envelope)."

Dept of education note, it's not a public school but some kind of evening program

Customer wants me to install E-stops based on this

There is a building with conventional split system heat pump, a trailer with a minisplit, and a trailer with a Ptac.

I thought about running power to T/stats through stop switch but I think Blower would keep running for a minute or 2 until it cools off, how bout interrupting control voltage at unit?

And the minisplit has integral controls, so run line voltage through a contactor?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Do they want a single e-stop to shut everything down at once? Or just individually? Low volt with relays to do as you mentioned to kill the control voltage would be the easiest and cheapest, and like you said, run the minisplit through a contactor controlled through the low volt e-stop.

BillyMac59

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
The other side of the equation is the detection phase. How is the presence of the "hazardous airborne contaminant" detected? Will this detector automatically trigger the "e-stop" event?