Eaton 20 amp dual function breaker

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I have to Eaton Breakers.
#1 is a BRP120DF; #2 is a BRP120A1CS
Both packages say AF/GF Plug on neutral. Is there any difference in these two that I am overlooking ?

kwired

Electron manager
Little bit of searching and I think one possibly is a new version of an existing product, not totally certain of this but seems to be what happened. Not sure what changed with it either though.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I just called in about a 30A 2P GFCI that keeps tripping with a dryer plugged in.

Eaton said they will send me out the “new“ version which has diagnostic lights for what caused the trip, and apparently is less susceptible to tripping due to harmonics.

Perhaps that is the difference, newer version. 👍

Also, Eaton‘s site is showing the 120df as a pigtail, and the A1cs as a PON.

I believe from the pic on their site that the A1CS is the newer version.

brycenesbitt

For no apparent reason, I asked Eaton who responded right away.
I was wrong about the pigtail above.

Date: Fri, Aug 30, 2024 at 11:14 AM
Subject: Re: Blank specification

Hi Bryce,
Functionally they are same.
BRP120DF - Updated version
BRP120A1CS - this comes in clamshell packaging.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Literally the packaging? That's nonsense.
I found out that some appliance model numbers are unique for stores, so price comparisons are futile.
That is the case here, the breaker package and numbers are even different from big blue to the big orange. Both using the clam shell package, but the box type are usually found just in supply house, also found that in online stores you could randomly get either. Found this when went to return an unused breaker to the big box, when they scanned the product they said it wasn't theirs it must be from the other big box, (a job that had to get multiple so because of limited stock in one store went to another).

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
What do the actual breakers say on them?
The model # on the breaker should be identical. I believe all breaker manufacturer's have a separate part # for the CS packaging to distinguish between what goes to retail and what goes to suppliers. Lutron, Legrand, etc.. do the same thing.

kwired

Electron manager
The model # on the breaker should be identical. I believe all breaker manufacturer's have a separate part # for the CS packaging to distinguish between what goes to retail and what goes to suppliers. Lutron, Legrand, etc.. do the same thing.
Often just a suffix at end of same catalog number to designate type of packaging.